Need natural forks

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by kohlqez, Nov 13, 2013.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I can't seem to find any good natural forks where I live (south Florida) anybody have any ideas about where I can find some?
    Or if anyone has a surplus of forks that they don't have the time to turn into slingshots I'd be willing to put the work in. I'll make a slingshot for you for 2 natural forks (one for you one for me) if you're interested pm me and let me know the details, I.e. dimensions you want, style, etc. And I'm send my address. I'll post my latest slingshot I made as soon as the finish dries so you can see what kind of work I do, it's just plywood and a hardwood floor sample from home depot though nothing too fancy.
    Also if you're outside the US I'm gonna need money, or postage, for return shipping. Other than that it's totally free

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

any fruitwoods are good. Rhododendrons, liac, oak. not sure what florida has to offer but ant hardwoods will do.

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

do the trees in florida have no branches??

surly you must be able to find something...

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I suspect finding fruitwood/hardwood is hard in Florida. Palm, palmetto, saw grass they have in plenty.

In which case PVC is your friend. :)

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Do you have access to mangrove? I've seen someone (I can't remember where) that did some slingshots with black mangrove forks - they looked pretty darn cool. As I recall, mangroves grow pretty well there, if you can gain access to them.

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Yes the trees have branches... my problem is finding tree owners who don't mind me cutting their trees and since trees here are cut at the beginning of hurricane season (which would have been the perfect time to do this) people are reluctant to forfeit more of their branches.
    However I do have a small key lime tree and an oak and my parents rental property has an enormous mango tree I might take a few forks from... I like the idea of using mangroves but you're really not SUPPOSED TO cut them but I don't think anyone cares too much really, thanks guys

7. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

LOL I'm frpom South Florida and there a lot of palmettos and palm trees ( ie no branched ) that and most of the good trees arre on privite property. I feel for you Kohlqez Ill be moving back there next year. I have to start collecting forks now.

Attached Files:

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Turns out the lime tree is too small I'd have to cut it in half to make a decent slingshot, but I did notice my guava tree anyone seen a slingshot made from guava wood?

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I know he posted that while I was posting that comment but can I use guava to make a decent moor hammer type slingshot? You know where I don't just use the fork the way I find it, I made a few new designs while doodling and I was wondering if guava wood will be a suitable wood for the purpose. I'll post the designs if that helps at all.

11. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i can send you forks no problem, but you have to pay for shipping from europe to the us, those forks will be freaking expensive
    better if someone in the us will send you some forks

12. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

im sure i could find forks good enough in the brush on the background of photo 2

13. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Nice bv but I'm not sure my forks are big enough what do you think?

Attached Files:

14. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

there are plenty of slings hiding in that tree mate

15. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

3 forks on their way and was told by USPS they should arrive in Monday's mail. One smallish and two medium. Nothing too wild, but two ash and one locust I think. No leaves were left on them, they were cut 2 months ago and left in a pile. Don't go cuttin' on that ornamental just yet.

16. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Thanks Bushmaster I was just wondering for the future