Need Help!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Tomza, May 4, 2013.

1. Tomza

Tomza New Member

How am i supposed to get that piece off with knife? i dont have good saws only big ones and i cannot saw it off with them. and i dont have wood file.

Attached Files:

2. artons

artons New Member

i never made nothing like this, but with a very good knife is probably doable. good luck

3. thechristiantodd

thechristiantodd New Member

You say you have some big saws? You can't cut curves but you can do straight lines! What if you make a a few vertical cuts towards the middle of the fork, make diagonal cuts to clear out sections then carefully use your knife to take of the rough stuff? If your blade is sharp you should still get a nice smooth surface.

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

A file won't work, and I think a knife will take VERY long.

Best option would be to buy a coping saw, 15€ or less, + a good tool for everything.

5. piggie0072

piggie0072 New Member

Two words dremels rock.

6. LW

LW New Member

no problem, I would take a drill. maybe 8mm make holes as close together as possible, but not too close. At the end you can break the part out.
    With a little rough sandpaper the job is donne.

Good luck...

7. Tomza

Tomza New Member

I feel stupid now :D why I did not come up with any of those options... thanks!

8. Tomza

Tomza New Member

Well i drilled holes to it and then used knife and the result was broken slingshot and piece off from my thumb

9. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

That sucks! But, you've learned a few things and that is great. #1: the best path from A to B is not always a straight line. Both methods suggested are great work-arounds. #2: soft wood boards don't make for good SS's. I'll bet it broke along the grain, right? Be thankful it broke during building not when you had it pulled out in front of your eye!!!! ;)
    Try some plywood to start and build your knowledge base about wood. Then you'll be good to go.
    Good luck with the next one!

10. thechristiantodd

thechristiantodd New Member

Can't second that enough. I was trying to make a board cut hammerhead after wanting one for years and had three frames break on me due to the wood grain. Natural forks and plywood is solid as anything so if you be wanting a board cut, some half decent ply is the way. First attempt with the stuff and it works.

11. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

Patents and a sharp knife are your best freind. But to speed things along use the "big saws" to make relief cuts.

12. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Sorry about your thumb.