Need help: Which oil for finishing?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Mulgarat, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

Hi everyone!
    Im going to finish two new slingshots in the next few days, one is made from a fork i cut in the summer, the other one is made from a metal-wood laminate.
    I want to finish them with natural oil, but i don't know which kind of oil works best. If anyone here has experience with oils in woodworking, pls help !

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I'm not sure if its considered 'natural' or not, but I am a huge fan of Tru-oil. I've had great results, and Its very forgiving to work with

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Raw lineseed oil is good, makes the grain beautifull (learned that from Dolomite). Tru-oil is nice as Will said. Some fellows have used sunflower oil too.

4. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

Thanks for the replies!:)
    I thought about lineseed oil before and will buy some tomorrow.

5. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

I've used olive oil with a result more or less good and recently bought a can of Danish oil and have gotten very good results

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

olive oil......Kitchen use? Like extra virgin olive oil 0,3% acid etc???

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i use normal kitchen use olive oil, it works but there are much better oils like linseed oil

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

9. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

one of the guys I work with uses Grapeseed oil on all his woodwork, doesn't bring out the grain as much as linseed oil but has a nice silky finish.

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I am using linseed oil I buy from the local supermarket. Works great. But don't soak the poor wood in it for days... just brush it on repeatedly, and do that again every once in a while.

11. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

Depending on where you live try Formby's Tung Oil or Watco Danish Oil. Tung oil is harder and glossier than linseed. Unless you are planning to eat off the sling shot no need for vegetable food grade oils in my opinion. Hard oils with a waxy finish can be buffed to a gloss.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Tru Oil is a good choice if you can get it where you are - it actually does contain linseed oil, among some other ingredients. Looks nice on gun stocks, haven't yet tried it on a slingshot.

13. Moin moin,
    Arbeitsplattenöl vom Baumarkt....
    Oder in die Pommesfriteuse geschmissen,
    Oder Leinöl....
    oder oder oder,
    schau dir mal alte Beiträge hier oder im Netz an.....

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

It's all about the look to me, I find a few coats of rlo looks better than anything else. Anything with solvents in it darkens the wood too much for my taste. Also, remember that solvents ruin the resin that makes some woods so beautiful, danish,tru,and blo ruin purpleheart in my opinion. I also get nausea from petro products so the smell is a huge deal breaker as well.

15. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

I have used tru oil for finishing Gunstocks or knive handles.
    It works for most kind of wood. It is more expensive like linseed oil but also more convenient because it dries faster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013