The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this sounds stupid, but lately i've been practising with candy or acorns because i don't want to leave ammo lying around that can damage nature. Using marbles and metal ammo is ofcourse nicer, but i got so sick of seeking the the tiny balls after every time i shoot.
Now i've heard about ammo that disolves and is friendly to nature. Does anyone know more about this ammo, and more important, what it is called?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi,
the ammo is made by hares and rabbits.
I would not use it for shooting.
Zwillie

Reactions: guffetah and epr64

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I do all my shooting indoors, so I'm not afraid to use lead.

Nature given time will encapsulate, cover and hide anything. Somethings of course take longer to break down. Those grocery store plastic bags are a prime example.

Also I strongly recommend using a catch box so you can catch and reuse your ammo.

As far as nature is concern, glass is virtually inert. It will sit there getting buried by leaves and grass. Unless it catch's the eye of a crow, in which case it will end up in his nest. Steel is much the same, will rust into a natural substance fairly quickly.

You do have to remember when thinking about nature, that lead, steel, glass all came from nature originally. And she will take them back in and tuck them away like she does. Certain plastics, ceramics, those may be around 2000 years from now, virtually unchanged. But if enough of those material stack up, eventually something will come along that will eat them. This is natures way.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When shooting outdoors---lead is toxic, marbles leave nasty broken glass shards (that last forever) if they break, plastic will be wherever you leave it nearly forever... Of all the possibilities, I guess steel is the most eco-responsible, but speaking for myself---I like to get more than one use out of each BB. I think the real answer is a portable catch-box, because then you can shoot almost anything.

·
Thread Hijacker
3,375 Posts
Hi,
the ammo is made by hares and rabbits.
I would not use it for shooting.
Zwillie
HAHAHA!
This made me choke on my coffee!
Very good Zwillie!

Ghosth explained this very well. Hit it right on the head. Steel balls are essentially just iron and carbon. The will rust away in a short amount of time and cause no damage to the earth.

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
+1 to Ghosth and Will

I like to use gumballs and jawbreakers - they're hard enough that they don't disintegrate in the pouch and heavy enough to hit somewhat hard. The gumballs break down quickly when it rains. I've been using them for a while and when I've gone out to retrieve ammo like my steel and marbles, the gumballs have disappeared very quickly. They're basically just sugar, which is water soluble. Plus, they're cheap.

If you like to shoot small stuff, like with a BB size slingshot, you can use the heavier airsoft BB's. They make biodegradable airsoft BB's, and they're really cheap - several thousand for under $20 Here is a link to one brand I've purchase for my airsoft guns as well as my slingshots:

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/B28-3000-BIO.htm

Other than that, it's time to build a catch box if you're concerned.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
I often shoot powder balls (or paint balls), normally used for gotcha games. Those are bio degradable, cheap, and you can use pretty much anything as a target.

I like the size and the weight, too.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
@Withak, how do the airsoft bbs compare to normal bbs in weight? I've been tempted to try them as well, but fear they may be to light.

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
@Withak, how do the airsoft bbs compare to normal bbs in weight? I've been tempted to try them as well, but fear they may be to light.
Actually I like them better. First, they are a bit larger - 6mm vs 4.5mm for a steel .177cal BB - so easier to handle. You can buy airsoft BB's in different weights starting at .12g (very light) up to at least .43g (the heaviest I've used so far). The heavier ones actually hit pretty hard and will easily go through a cardboard box. Just stick with the heaviest ones you can find and I think you'll really like them in your BB shooter. Places like Airsplat.com have good prices on bulk packs.

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
I often shoot powder balls (or paint balls), normally used for gotcha games. Those are bio degradable, cheap, and you can use pretty much anything as a target.

I like the size and the weight, too.
Joerg - where do you find your powder balls? I've tried to find some online including Ebay, etc. and can't seem to locate them anywhere.

·
Banned
3,613 Posts
Ok this sounds stupid, but lately i've been practising with candy or acorns because i don't want to leave ammo lying around that can damage nature. Using marbles and metal ammo is ofcourse nicer, but i got so sick of seeking the the tiny balls after every time i shoot.
Now i've heard about ammo that disolves and is friendly to nature. Does anyone know more about this ammo, and more important, what it is called?
I believe you may be talking about iron ferrite pellets, you can get them cheap on eBay.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As for catchboxes;
Don't forget, slingshots are not legal here. So if i went to the forest carrying a catchbox with me, i would draw unnecessary attention and might get trouble. Especially this area, people are so nosy
Also why i want unharmull ammo for environment and stopped using candy now too; an animal might eat it and get poisoned. Especially hedgehogs often get food poisoning from wandering foods. I wouldn't want to be responible for that.

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
When i look for "iron ferrite pellets" on ebay i get no search results. Is it ammo that disolves fast? Would you know another name to search it by on ebay?
Search for "Taconite iron ore" and you'll find it. It's pretty cheap and is good ammo, though it is irregular in size from one piece to the next, but a great cheap option that will easily rust away to nothing in the outdoors. Try getting a small bag and see what you think. My only complaint is that they are 'dirty' and will leave rust stains on things like your hands and your clothing.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
I hope you we're using something to absorb some of the kinetic energy of the skittle.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Actually I like them better. First, they are a bit larger - 6mm vs 4.5mm for a steel .177cal BB - so easier to handle. You can buy airsoft BB's in different weights starting at .12g (very light) up to at least .43g (the heaviest I've used so far). The heavier ones actually hit pretty hard and will easily go through a cardboard box. Just stick with the heaviest ones you can find and I think you'll really like them in your BB shooter. Places like Airsplat.com have good prices on bulk packs.
I may have to try some of the heavier (.43g) BBs. I'll have to order myself a pack.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How annoying, there is only one seller that doesn't have "local pickup" and it doesn't sell outside US. No results on UK or other european ebay sites.
The taconite seems really interesting, i don't mind dirty hands, they get dirty from picking up/brushing off acorns too.
I will try the clay balls and i might have found those clay like (orange brown) balls they use for big plants. Also i will find more info on airsoft ammo, there is a shop for that nearby. (the same guy trying to sell me a $50 hunting knife for carving, lol)
But if i want to buy taconite ammo, could a US resident help me? I have paypal and i'll pay in advance.
Thanks for all the info everyone. So far google came up with candy and corn kernels(?!).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts