The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
After several test pieces I decided this one is nice enough to show here.
It's made from mystery wood - the fork came off a pile of branches pruned from trees in a public area, so I have no idea what it is.
The raw fork reminded me of the grip of a match pistol, so I made it into this very ergonomic handle. Microwave dried, cracks filled with epoxy, sanded to 240 grit and treated with boiled linseed oil.
Hope you like it :)

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ Schleuderjunkie: Thanks! It's very stable in the hand.

@ seppman: :D:D The first thing my brother said was: "Looks like balls"

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
You're right! It does resemble a match pistol grip! How did you finish it? Did you sand between layers? Polish?

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ TheDaddy187: Thanks, though I hope to reach your level of craftsmanship some day.

@ TheNewSlingshotGuy: That's what I was shooting for (pardon the pun).

Does swearing count as a finish? Because I did that a lot. You could say I'm not the biggest fan of sanding, so I stopped at 240 grit. Then I applied two coats of boiled linseed oil with a day inbetween to let it dry, and that's what you see in the pictures. Maybe I try oilsanding it later, but I don't think that will do much.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I love the grip. I have been looking for a piece to do something similar for a long time. but the right fork has not been found yet. Well Done!:)

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Now that's thinking outside the fork! Nice work!

-Wild Bill

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
@ TheDaddy187: Thanks, though I hope to reach your level of craftsmanship some day.
from this 1 shooter i have seen you post, i dont think your far off...

your first compared to my first beats mine hands down... with every shooter you make you learn from the one before...

i have made quite alot of shooters now and still not 100% happy with my work
what i can say is i dont own a single 1 of my best shooters...
when i make them for me i put little effort into asthetics and just get a working shooter...
i have been enjoying the trades as it forces me to put alot more effort into my work that i otherwise wouldnt have done...

as for my level of craftsmanship, it is non existent compared to some of the other members here...
i own no power tools so everything is cut and shaped using basic tools, i know for sure my work would be twice as good if i had a fully stocked workshop but we make do with what we have and this is some of the best i can produce with just a coping saw, sandpaper, epoxy and a can of lacquer

really the art of making slingshots is in the time spent finishing... it took maybe 2 days (not straight) to get the natty to the shape i wanted... another 2 weeks of sanding... no lie... i sat out in my garden for at least 4 hours per day just sanding with 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper...

anyway, back on track, great job on that natty... it looks comfy and looks to me like you have spent your share of time with the sandpaper, so i say keep up the good work and i cant wait to see what else you have lined up for us

TD

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your kind words!

@ Whittler: Yeah, forks with high potential are rare. This one was a lucky find, but cost me my leatherman saw blade :eek:

@WildBill: Well, strictly speaking I only worked with what was inside the fork ;)

@ TheDaddy187: Well, strictly speaking this isn't my first slingshot, but it's the first one i am comfortable with showing here. There were some crude attempts with multiplex which, while functional, are nothing to boast about.
I'm also looking forward to the trades, and you are right with the finish being the hardest part. But doing something nice for a likeminded spirit makes one going to greater lenghts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts