Natural Ram-bone, Texas Persimmon

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, May 4, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Seems that whenever I come up with a new design, I always have to make a natural before my mind can refocus. The Ram-bone is at a stage where a natural was inevitable.

[​IMG]

I still had one fork left from the four Texas parsimmon shipment John sent me a few months ago. It was cracked and also one of the branches was dead, rotten dark. So I was a bit afraid if it was possible to salvage it.

I had to carefully choose the cuts in order to not run into the deep crack that ran all the way through the dead branch and trunk.

I wanted to integrate a part of the dead wood simply because of the color. This forced me to make the handle a little fatter, but less deep. You have to do that when working on naturals - making the best out of the shape nature provided.

It came out real nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Amazing work as usual..
    :cool:

3. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

+1

4. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Oh my gosh, that is breathtaking. they are such nice wood patterns and the color is amazing, well done:)

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

wow, what a beauty!!

6. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

Beautiful as always!

7. kenyon-slingshots

kenyon-slingshots New Member

How did u get that beauty from a regularly y shaped fork wow i can c why 200,000 people go to your channel

8. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

That is an Amazing piece of slingshot-art!

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

First you saw a slice off the front of the fork. Then you can put your template on it and transfer the outlines. The rest is saw, rasp, file and sandpaper.

10. LW

LW New Member

So nice to see you building slingshots again! This reminds me on all the naturals laying in my workshop, maybe I have a look wich one is dry and ready to rumble:D
    Your finish is outstanding, I wich I have the same passion on the finish, but I don´t:rolleyes:

11. thechristiantodd

thechristiantodd New Member

I was rasping for ages to get a natural hammerhead. Still isn't finished by a long shot but this...this is astonishing. How long did this beauty take? And how do you saw the template out? I used an electric jig saw but found it very difficult to get an accurate cut due to the curve and thickness of the wood.

12. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

A coping saw with a wood sawblade works good if don't have machines...

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Took me about six hours total. Three hours for the slingshot, three hours for the finish.

I use a hand saw to slice the front off (my band saw isn't big enough for that task). Then I use the band saw to saw the shape out. This is difficult and you have to do that in small pieces sometimes, but it is a lot faster than using the rasp at that stage.

@LW:
    Actually, if I go through my blog it becomes apparent that I have never really stopped making slingshots. The Cold Steel Hand Mortars (five of them), the one for my name cousin, the Mini with magazine, the natural done with the SOG tool, the RAM-bone in multiplex and now this one - all in just about one month.

The fact that my crazy contraptions receive a lot more attention sometimes masks out the fact that I still make many conventional slingshots.

14. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

+1

15. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

That dead Fork looks so beautiful.
    It reminds me a bit of a Dogwoodshooter you once made. I think Gamekeeper John has it now. That one also had one dead fork. Are there any stability issues with a dead part? I wish i had a large bandsaw to try a natural that size too :D

16. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

nice work

17. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I looked trough some of your old videos the other day, like the Revolver slingshot and "The Mask". I really liked those metal slingshots, I have to make some myself I think! It somewhat feels a little nostalgic watching videos with only "normal" slingshots, haha!

18. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

You are too modest, LW. I have observed some of your finished work, and it is awesome! I can never say which I like the best. All of it!
    [​IMG]

19. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

It is truly a lovely piece of beautiful craftsmanship. [​IMG]

20. Theodor

Theodor New Member

another masterpiece.... :cool: