Natural Glue/Epoxy

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by EyAlter, Nov 22, 2013.

1. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Does anybody know a natural/organic wood glue or epoxy to laminate wood for a slingshot? I was wondering if there is an alternative to industrial epoxy. Something a bit more green.

2. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I know you can make glue from perch-skin, I just don't know how :eek: I think it has been used for laminating longbows in the past...

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Have a Google for 'Liquid hide glue'. Only has two ingredients and both are animal based. Not sure about plant derived glues.

4. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

Believe it or not, low-in-fat quark and calcium carbonate can be mixed to a two-component glue (casein is the actual glue). I did that in primary school and also saw it in different children-tvshows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qIcg_n4NxA] that's a german video about quark-glue

PS: No, that tvshow is not what I usually watch, but that is an interesting chemical experiment ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

hide glue
    fish bladder glue
    bone glue
    eyeball glue
    maybe you could use mistletoe berry's

6. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

you can make strong wood glue out of raw egg whites, I saw it on tv lomg ago and dont remember the process so try googling it.

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Dried potatoes, ground into powder and then adding vinegar makes a decent plant-based glue. I've only used it for gluing paper, though- I dunno how well it would hold up in a slingshot application.

-Wild Bill

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Well you got me curious there! Looking forward to trying to make a batch of fish glue this next summer!

Carp will probably be my species of choice, as they are fast breeding and easy to find.

9. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Boiling rawhide, bone and hooves makes a natural glue that dates back to Day 1. Of course you could use the cheap wood glue from Harbor Freight like I do.