Natural for for a friend

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by CEZ, Nov 7, 2013.

1. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Hi All, So here's a new slingshot I have made, it's a cherry fork, mahogany palm swell and wenge tips. It's finished with CA glue and has two bandsets (1850 & 2050), one with a nice self-centering dimpled pouch. It's a present for a friend vet who has treated my dog many times and hasn't ever taken money from me for it. He wanted something solid, classic and good for a beginner, that's why the high forks. Hope you guys like it, I know he will.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

Very nice. Loving that cord. And these woods go together just perfectly. Well done!

3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Can you please tell me how you accomplish the flawless mating of the palm swell to the natural fork? I'm awestruck by that and everything else!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, just a very beautiful slingshot. I love the mix of woods, the palmswell and the paracord lanyard. Really great piece of work. I suspect your friend will really enjoy this.

5. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

amazing work and i love the wenge!!

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Ooooh very nice

J

7. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Hi Guys, thanks for the kind words, it was very time consuming.

The fork was sanded down with to a flat surface on a belt sander but if you don't have one you can just rub it against a piece of sand paper on the floor or any other flat surface, hope that makes sense?

Any more questions just ask:)

8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Outstanding! Beautiful finish.

9. LW

LW New Member

This is a wonderful and excellent job, there are not many naturals out there which are so exceptional.

The end cap, the integrated palm swell, the fork tips, everything very nice balanced. Also the tubes fits perfectly to this slingshot.

I copied your pics to my personal Slingshot album.

A very nice present for a generous person!

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Absolutely dynamite work!! This a natural that just jumps out! And the finish is amazing too!
    A very kind gift to thank your vet! (My mother has been a vet for 35 years, so I think this is especially thoughtful!)

12. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

It looks perfect.

13. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Incredible lamination! Inspiring work! welcome back!

14. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

nice to have such friends

15. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Gorgeous man... wowowow... the sling is awesome!

About the lanyard, is here a reason, other then connecting it with solomon/cobra, for the loose end loop?

EDIT: About the CA.. it stands for cyanacrylat right? Isnt the toxicity an issue when you finish with it? If not... how do you apply it, just paint it on with a brush ...or how... since its hard quickly.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  16. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Real nice! I'm jealous.

17. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Well it's really hard to explain so I've made a gif of how the lanyard works, basically it' two cobras, a big one for the wrist and a smaller one for keeping the bigger one from loosening. The smaller one is tightened by pulling on the loop end. My girlfriend made the lanyard, it works really good, almost like a wrist brace.

[​IMG]

I don't know if cyanoacrylate (superglue) is toxic but it causes breathing discomfort for me, I would recommend doing it outside, here's a really nice tutorial that I have followed [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_ulK-w7KE[/ame]

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've used the same method as the guy in the video myself. I use a disposable vinyl or latex-free glove when I apply it with my finger - and keep the finger moving. I just make sure to work small areas at a time. For a typical slingshot, I'll apply just a small puddle of glue then start spreading it around - a little goes a long way. I work on only half the slingshot at a time so I can set it down on the untreated area to let the glue set fully, which doesn't take long. I try to get about 4-5 layers on my finishes, sanding with some very fine grit sandpaper between the final layers.

It does burn my eyes a bit, just like a cut onion, so I try to work where I have good ventilation. I also have been told to only use the regular CA glue, not the gel version. And, when you're finished, you can polish it up with some car polishing compound if you really want to get a shine.

19. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Thx for the gif and explanation and the video..so basically the smaller cobra acts like a bead or a lock ...nice ( search YT for hot to tie paracord ranger beads - cool stuff too )

also ty to you With a k.;)