Mylar and polytarp

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by studer1972, May 11, 2013.

1. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I have been using 2 sheets of polytarp re-sourced from a dogfood bag as a backstop in my catchbox. So far nothing I have shot has penetrated it. (5/8" marble, M10 hexnuts, 3/8" steel, .50 cal lead).

Tonight, I strapped an empty Aldi rice cake bag to my catchbox. Not marbles, nor hexnuts, nor .50 cal lead could penetrate both layers of this humble snack bag. From point blank range, a hexnut embedded itself into the catchbox but just bunched up the mylar and pulled it in with it. .50 cal lead could tear the first layer, but was stopped by the second layer, falling into the sled I use as a catch tray below the backstop.

[​IMG]

Short of anchoring all 4 edges in a braced frame, how do I ventilate this stuff?

2. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I love recylin' !!!:)

3. roger59

roger59 Member

have you seen the polytarp signs used for promotion stuff at events? they cut big u- shaped slots in and re-inforce the corners so it acts less like a sail. the problem being you will need to back your stop with tough mozzie (mosquito) nettting or something.

4. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Roger: good point. I'm asking more how do I shoot holes in it, though. :) Higher velocity with smaller, more dense ammo seems to be the consensus.

5. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Shooting with rods makes nice holes.But be carefull and wear a glove. A handslap with a rod gives a lot of pain.

6. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

what kind of rods do you use and how is the weight?

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

You mean cylenders sawed off from round bar stock I think. Ammo with edges for sure is a good idea. My current favorite is cubes of steel for punching neat holes in sheet steel.

That woven synthetic gunny sack stuff is hella strong--my mover's blanket thanks you already for this idea.

+1 on the glove bit too--Id have bruises over band-aids any day personally.

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I have a friend who swears by shooting small segments of scrap 'all-thread' rod.