My very first

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by codido187, Dec 27, 2013.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

My very first natural fork slingshot my first ever slingshot all I'm needing is the bands and some stain and polyurethane

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388172864.639385.jpg

2. noah013

noah013 Member

Nice fork you've found!

Noah013

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Very nice fork, what kind of wood did you end up with?

4. codido187

codido187 New Member

I ended up with a piece of Osage I found behind my work :) I put it in a vice and I could even stand on it that's how strong it is just need me some bands :)

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

If that's osage, I would avoid using stain on it. If you want to do a finish, try some oil like linseed, orange oil, lemon oil, tru oil or danish oil. You'll get a much warmer and more natural finish. I've learned by watching folks here and finishing my own that I stay away from 'stains' now. It's a nice fork, be sure to let us know how it shoots!

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

I will thank you for the advice I was thinking of using Danish oil and then a polyurethane coat what do you think???

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sure. Danish oil would be a great start. Sand it nice and smooth first and give it some coats of the oil. Once it has sufficient time to dry, see if you like it as is, or if it needs the poly - you may prefer it with just the oil. There really is no final answer other than what you like. If you want to really preserve the finish, the poly will do that for you. Just give it plenty of time to dry before you try to apply the poly - trust me, I've learned this lesson more than once.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Looking go so far.

9. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you for your good advice I do appreciate I wish I had an abundance of good forks and wood but they're rare to find

10. codido187

codido187 New Member

I would like to thank everyone on this post who has given me great tips and pointing me in the right direction I hope to make master pieces very soon

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

They will become easier to find, in time. You really have to put some hours in. Search unconventional areas, such a brush piles, or firewood stacks. There will be many forks that will catch your eye!

12. codido187

codido187 New Member

What would you do to make this fork a master piece

13. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

I like the fork too. I looking forward to see the finished one?

14. codido187

codido187 New Member

I'm going to be ordering some bands soon and some Danish oil and I'll post my pics when they're done which will hopefully be soon