My super light Slingshot - 33 gram!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by LW, Jul 31, 2013.

1. LW

LW New Member

This was my yesterday evening project after work. I wanted to do a fast board cut, but always a little bit different.
    So I took a Carbon Fiber plate (5,4 mm) and tried to saw out my desired form.

I knew I could not do this on my band saw, because I only have a saw blade for wood, and that is also dull.
    So I took a bigger “puk saw” with metal blade. But it was almost impossible sawing a curve or a radius.
    So I had to drill some holes, and then I cut from hole to hole.
    Maybe you remember my first sentence… “I wanted to do a fast board cut…” :D
    After sawing the saw blade was complete dull.

After all the grinding and sanding, the result was worth the effort. This tiny little slingshot looks so fragile, but it is rock solid.
    I banded it for 10 mm Steel balls, but I would not be afraid to put double Bands on it and even shoot lead balls with it.

When I went home, I put it in my back pocket and simply sit on it (in the car) it does not bother me. I have not even felt the slingshot in my pocket.

It is definitely a nice EDC slingshot, and I could not pass out of my hands throughout the day.
    have a look...
    ca00.jpg
    ca01.jpg
    ca02.jpg
    ca04.jpg
    ca03.jpg

On the Picture you can see the weight… ( 33,3 gram) completely banded with lanyard, under 50 gram.
    ca06.jpg

And what surprises me the most, it is not uncomfortable to the hand, not a single moment. It is so well balanced, (only luck)
    that there are no big pressure points at the palm or fingers.

ca07.jpg

May be some day I am going to try a couple of forms, but I would not recommend to work with this material.
    Even wearing a dusk mask through the whole process, my nose was black and super fine black dust everywhere.
    Even working with a dust extraction most of the time.

I hope you like it…

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I also made one from that material, a few years back. I hate working on it. I felt like I had a serious cold for a day or two. The dust was everywhere.

I still have the slingshot, it IS super solid. But I won't make more of them.

Yours looks REALLY nice, though!

3. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Congratulations! Totally clean and iconic curvature!
    Overall weight is extremely good! And that's good point for an EDC!

I've worked with cfiber in a knife project. Just underline your comments. It's a nasty material. Eats up time and tool, but the outcome worth it.

Well done!

4. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Beautiful shape!
    I always like to have something to "wrap my hand around" but i have to admit the look of that slinger is very nice.
    And the advantage that comes with size and weight is obvious!

5. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Wow! Carbon fiber looks - awesome. Great finish on it to.
    Never worked with that material.

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Great work! I love the looks of carbon fiber, and slingshots are a great application for this material. It does look like it creates a terrible mess however.
    Good concept too, a nearly unbreakable, pocket-sized shooter. Good stuff!

7. artons

artons New Member

very nice!
    it's like a futuristic slingshot for special operation :)
    thin, light weight and strong, ideal for stealth kill, i'd like to see james bond with it :D

8. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

How expensive was the carbon fibre cause a racing cars (f1) spoiler cost something like 20 k pounds (money) and almost nothing there but I would pay a fortune for that thing :)

J

9. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

A very handsome little EDC you've got there, LW!

Ha! A fast board cut. I have heard that carbon fiber is tough stuff to work with.

I'm glad you persevered and are now showing us this sweet little gem. Even more happy to hear that you're REALLY enjoying your hard work with it.

Thank you for showing us this! Very cool and nice tactical look as well. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Take care with that dust!!!! It can go through our natural filters and reach the lungs!!!
    Aways use a high level protection mask!!
    Nice work! Even being terrible to work with.... Carbon fiber is great! Barely unbreakable! And easy to finish (you just have to do nothing!)

11. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Very nice LW. Carbon fiber is a tough material and not easy to work with, but I have to agree with BV. A high protection mask is a must! If you want to grind, mill or even drill this material use water to avoid dust. If the dust is in your lungs, it is very difficult for your respiratory system to get rid of it.
    BTW, the surface does not need any finish, but the trimmed edges have micro pores and should be sealed with CA.

12. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

The carbon fiber looks awesome!!!

13. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Realy nice work. I know this material from my work and it's always a fight with it.
    And when you think to do a fast job,mostly it is going in the trousers.;)
    My father always told me"Don't do it quick,make it right"

14. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Is there a templete for this?

15. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

16. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That little ss is a jewel.

You are a saint or masochist to work this stuff. I would agree with everything said here so far about its nastiness. Even diamond studded cutters I used to mill it with had short lifespans.

I'm glad the results are so worth it--gorgeous stuff.

@Flicks : Thanks for the tip about superglue on the edges!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  17. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Great Work!
    I can´t say anything about Carbon, but it looks really great! :D

18. Mister Magpie

Mister Magpie New Member

Lw,

That is super! I am impressed!

Darren

19. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very nice LW :D Just be careful with your lungs! I have recently started to use a "breath mask" every time I use my beltsander or work with wood over along time and when I spraypaint [​IMG]