My slingshot practice "range"

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Jeremy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Here is a view of my typical practice "range" for slingshots. Today I was aiming at a soda can from about 26 feet away. I'm happy to report that I was able to hit the can three times in a row, followed by a few narrow misses.

Today I was shooting my Trumark's FS-1 slingshot. I am far more accurate with it today than I was a few weeks ago. I still can't wait to get my hands on a Flippinout or Pocket Predator flatband to improve my aim even more. I also plan on trying my hand at some homemade shooters as well.

Attached Files:

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

through the doors..

Hi Jeremy,

nice range, pretty much like mine, but for I´m a beginner, the plaster boards behind the catchbox have some nice holes, coincidentally of the same dia-
    meter as my ammo.. :) - what diameter are you shooting?
    -I don´t dare to shoot 10mm indoors that often anymore.. even 7mm is pretty
    violent (theres a rubber mat in my catchbox, rebounds pretty hard...)

And I like your doors,damage to those would be bad!

Greetings,

Be

3. Jeremy

Be,

I am shooting the white Trumark marbles and 3/8 or .375 calibre steel balls. I have lost many a marble in my garage. I also have a few round indentations behind my targets. I may need to increase the size of my wood plank behind my box.

4. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

I've been banned from using a catty after a ricocheting chukky stone punched a hole in the first pane of our double glazing

I now just use a quiet wooded area nearby but a lot less convenient.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It would be nice to be able to shoot inside. I've probably got the room, just not the approval of the boss lady ;) I'm sure your aim will improve once a certain pink shooter is in hand.

6. Haze

Haze New Member

Hey Jeremy, looking at the layout, have you had any narrow misses of your missus?

7. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Nice indoor range, to avoid ricochets I put a layered pile of cardboard behind the backstop, so if ammo "pass through" it's trapped inside the cardboard ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

8. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

do you have a warning sign or light on top of the stairs?

WARNING: life range, proceed at own risk...

9. Jeremy

I usually only practice when the wife and kid are not home. If they are home and I want to shoot I step into the garage and close the door.

I also became the owner of an A+ BB shooter (I won't have time to make one before my next business trip) so I can shoot indoors at the hotel.

10. Jeremy

I have magazines behind the cans and a cardboard box stuffed with newspaper behind that. I still get some ricochets when I hit the can and the steel ball does not pass through.

11. Arturo Borquez

you are shooting tin cans ? alu cans are less prone to ricochets as they are penetrated easily, of course lasts the less ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

12. Jeremy

I've been shooting at aluminium cans mostly. The slingshots I have been using have not been all that powerful. They are all tube shooters. I recently purchased a bb shooter and a Scout that are band shooters.

13. Arturo Borquez

last thing Jeremy, remember to shoot a bit angled path, once I had a frightening ricochet passing near my head bounced from the border of the catchbox, have fun, be safe lol !
    Cheers
    Arturo

14. Jeremy

Very good advice my friend. I think everyone should follow that advice.

15. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I also shoot indoors, simply not worth trying to shoot outdoors, especially here in North Dakota.

I shoot into a long long closet, nothing much hard to hit except my catchbox.

[​IMG]

At the bottom is an auto reseting target I bought for air rifles.
    Shoot the bottom 4 targets and they get flipped up, shoot the top one and it resets.

I'll be honest I'm struggling with this setup.

Targets are small, and my eyes seem to tend to wander between the targets. Balls hit off to the side all too often.

Pop cans I'm still pretty deadly on, but those little targets are a challenge. The target circle is an inch and 3/4 exactly, but you have to hit them square or they don't flip up. And if you manage to graze one, or hit a frame piece you most likely lose any you had knocked up. So it is a tough challenge, but I am thinking it will keep me out of trouble until spring. :)

I also shoot both blowgun, and spring powered bb guns in the same space.

16. Jeremy

I really dig your setup, makes mine looked half-assed.