My selfmade once^^

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Maulwurfsurfer, May 15, 2013.

1. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

I thought befor i make a new Thread for every SS i make i just open this Thread whitch i update when i made a new one.

So since i'm totally new in this don't judge me too hard^^

My first one is finish, i made "The Dragon". I thought this would be a easy SS, good for a first try.
    Well i think it is not too bad...
    All i used is a little manuell saw a rasp and sandpaper.
    I painted it w/ "Lack-Lasur" (don't know what it's called in english)

In the secound pic u can see the fork. and somehow i hit it with the pouch i guess, does anybody know what i can do aganist this?
    My theory is that the bands are not exact the same length.

The last pic is my second project. the Sideshooter. i started a couple days ago. haven't have that much time yet.
    But now i use a "Drehmel" for that. That makes it alot easier and faster.
    Offcurse i will upload a pic when its done.

Keep it up

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. Maulwurfsurfer

Oh and i would like to know what kind of oils u guys use to make ur SS look natural but shiny? ^^
    I would like to only oil the second one and not to paint it.

THX for your help

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Nice start, do you know what kind of wood that is?

If you don't have linseed oil, use teak oil.

5. Maulwurfsurfer

Its multiplex. Both the same wood. Just painted the finish one.
    I think I'm gonna buy some linseedoil. Its cheap and almost everywhere available.

6. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Maulwurfsurfer, no "hard" judgement here. Just lots of encouragement and enjoyment.

Very, very nice work on both of these. I'm impressed that these are your first. [​IMG]

On the finish, I think many seem to prefer to keep it simple. Boiled linseed oil, wax, and a good buff seems to work well for most. Check out LW's 'The ARC' thread. Our master craftsman says he uses oil on his. At least I think this is thread that I saw yesterday.

7. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Maulwurfsurfer, I forgot to ask you about your elastic bands. I'm really liking that periwinkle color! [​IMG] At least this is the color that I am seeing.

Your bands look very thick, almost like the Linatex red that I have, which requires a heavy ammo match. I'm guessing these bands feel very strong double-banded this way? And yes, you might have to go with a lighter set-up if you keep getting fork hits.

But you definitely need to make certain that both sides of your bands are even.

8. Maulwurfsurfer

Honestly i don't know what bands that really are. Got it a while ago. But they are about 0, 5mm thick. And this is my new set up. When i shot the fork i used 4 layers of it ^^ But that really was too strong. I didn't try this set up so far, but I'm going to soon. I'll let you know if it is better then.

9. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Nice slingshots!

10. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very nice beginning!! I like the second one, great shape. About the bands, i think they are the same as the ones i use.[​IMG]
    Kettler Latex Flexiband purple. Purple are strong and green are medium, the purple are thick like TBGold but streches almost like TBSilver.

11. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Speaking of bands,sorry to hit you up here Toksick, but I just wanted to thank you for your video from the old forum about using masking tape to stabilize the rubber for scissor cutting!!! That got me up and shooting after much frustration without a rotary cutter! You were bummed that nobody commented much or seemed to like it-BUT THAT WAS GOLDEN INFO and I'm sure I'm not the only one that you helped with it!!!

12. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

tokSick, I gotta remember to look into these purple bands when I get back. If they're acting like TBSilver, I'm definitely putting these on my "gotta have it" list. I think purple will look pretty with a zombie green slingshot. [​IMG] Woo-hoo!

13. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

nice work(s)

14. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Thankzz my friend. Great to know i helped.;) You can use that method to cut your leather and have a clean cut with a ordinary cutter but only on one side of it.

15. Maulwurfsurfer

Last Week i made one mini with a PETling as a magazine. It was made really fast and easy. But its fun to shoot though.
    And this weekend i made 4 other slingshoots. But its only the "Pocket Predator" whitch is ready to be oiled so i show u the pics of the others later when they look a little smoother ;)

Hope u like them!

Attached Files:

16. Maulwurfsurfer

Now i got my Moorhammer done too.
    Ijust don't know i i should oil it or leave it all natural!?

But so far my best SS i think!

Attached Files:

17. Maulwurfsurfer,

Nice Slingshot nice work, i think you should oil it because then it will be save.

But i think a problem would be the yearrings are a breakpoint! Then they ar in the line of craft.

Joe

18. Maulwurfsurfer

Ok today i oiled the Moorhammer and made a nother very nice SS.
    I call this one "The Mad Wife" since it looks like a abstract of a women!
    I like it very much!

Attached Files:

19. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

Wow amazing work!! Just out of interest do you sell your slingshots?

20. Maulwurfsurfer

Thanks!
    Well till now i did not think about selling them ;)
    But i think i'm not gonna sell them for now... maybe one day when i got some more and don't know where to put them.