My second slingshot started

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JohnKrakatoa, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I got so high on the slings here and there that I wanted to start my next sling right away. Got this fork from a tree from the same forest as the first one, but I think this isn't oak, once again I wasn't paying attention to trees in general I was looking for suitable spalted branches only. Also I have to learn my wood as I have only limited knowledge about different species.

Started removing bark from it with my Mora and it was really easy (its fresh wood basically only one or two weeks dried, the other branch which SSStake is made of was half dead) and I got careless or in the excitement I cut myself on my thumb... :(:(:( hope my thumb doesn't fall off haha :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Whoops! Gotta watch those sharp blades. As I was always taught in the field: "always carve at your buddy, not your body". Keep it clean and I hope you heal up soon. You need to show us the finished slingshot!

3. JohnKrakatoa

Thanks I will ! Yep , I went against the golden rule. :mad:

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

5. JohnKrakatoa

Haha :D Its quite deep but I think my body will stitch it up itself.. sure hope it will :D

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

butterfly bandages and newskin are your friends! Sucks you got cut bro, heal quick;).

7. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I use regular old super glue to put myself back together and it helps the wound heal nice. Better than taping it up. Gotta keep it clean and dry though. Be careful!

8. JohnKrakatoa

ffs my phone refreshed and canceled my post...

so..After one night the thumb wound looks fine. I think I'll be able to commence my work on the sling tomorrow.

Attached Files:

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

cyanoacrylate is nasty stuff, people have died from having too much on the skin. newskin does the same thing but safely. only drawback is the clove smell which I can't stand.

10. JohnKrakatoa

Btw I think the wood is field maple.

Also look what I found when looking up the wood:
    [ame]http://www.cafepress.com/wooddbstore.630934941[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  11. Haze

Haze New Member

BV, I have heard it said that super glue was developed to stick skin together to serve as a military wound sealant. Do you happen to know if that's urban myth or true?

12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Looks really good so far.. I cut my thumb a while back like really deep and you can still see where icut myself hurt like hell and I panicked a lot :p

J

13. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I've heard that too, don't know if it is true or not but my doctor has told me to use superglue for most minor cuts.

that New skin stuff is ok as long as the area doesn't flex too much, I cut the back of my index finger open a few years back (cheap pocket knife folded up on my hand), so up to the ER expecting stitches but then out comes the glue.
    the glue only lasted a couple of days, and it hadn't healed properly by then so my doctor said to use superglue, by the time the glue came off on its own (about a week) the cut had healed perfectly.
    so that's all I've used since, and so far thats the only cut like that that has left a scar (pic for proof)

Attached Files:

14. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

A slingshot always means more if you have to bleed a bit for it :)

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Superglue is cianocrylate. Skinglue is metacrylate. Cyanide is toxic and poisonous. But an aprpriate dose is required in order to act as poison. I'd use the buttery strips.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

It's as good excuse as any to visit Brazil, right? That and getting some of that magic rubber.

17. Courier

Courier Senior Member

We hope that your thumb will be ok soon!
    I hope BeMahoney does not get angry if I use his slogan.. :D

"Be safe!" (C) BeMahoney

18. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

good work so far
    i would just sand the bark :D

outch i know that
    it happens to me when i am not looking what i´m doing :rolleyes::D

19. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

mora companion those are always very sharp one of the best price-quality ratios you can find for a knife

the wood looks like oak to me where you've cut it but i could be mistaken... always hard to say of a foto

curious to the finished sling

20. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member