My pump nutshooter gun

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Slagskimmer Mike, May 14, 2013.

1. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Got a pic to upload finally so i can show off my M10 nut gun.

Mine shoots 7/16 nuts, and is made from mid-grade 1/2 inch plywood.
    20130514_075334.jpg

I'm not sure if I can praise this design enough. It is truly distilled genius.

Making it has been an education in itself, too.
    Things NOT to do if you build one:

Use too long of screws and just hit them with a grinder after assembly
    --they will always leave a snag spot until you disassemble completely, shorten each screw, reassemble, and then fill the holes this leaves. Use the right length or shorten them ahead of time.

Hurry through preparation of the guide screws
    --these will eat all of the work put into sanding the slots with one pass unless they are perfect. I plan to rebuild it with 1/4 inch shoulder bolts.

Test the gun before installing a keeper magnet to the slide
    --mine went off half-cocked, and ran the pump forward, blowing it nearly apart.

Many other lessons too, but this is becoming a book.

Thank you Joerg for the generous gift of this design+tutorial and thanks Brian for the excellent prints.

2. sparkie

sparkie New Member

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

nice one mike!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very nice work!! I had to laugh at your 'what not to do' segment, because these are all things I would do without a doubt! Great job!

5. Slagskimmer Mike

Thanks guys!

Sparkie--go to blueprints download section and look for M10nut shooter(sumpthin like that)

6. sparkie

sparkie New Member

yep! right after I posted I fond it!

7. sparkie

sparkie New Member

8. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

9. Jazztuss

Jazztuss Junior Member

Cool gun making,keep up the good work:)

10. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Is that powerful enough to kill something?

11. Slagskimmer Mike

I don't know how to make the link work from this clumsy tablet, but search the videos for the words "Forty lethal hex nuts"
    Can kill a coconut for sure :)

I'm using bands that mostly kill cardboard right now...

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Nice work man!!! Seems like a lot of you guys made that Xnuts Shooter.

13. slingshotkevin

slingshotkevin New Member

Question:
    I have a problem with the one I built. The string keeps going over or under the nut and the nut just stays in the canal. Any ideas on how to fix it are welcome.
    Thanks
    Kevin

14. Slagskimmer Mike

A couple things contribute to this, both were caused by cheap plywood in my case.

The thickness under the barrel is too thin unless you are using good, rigid multiplex. Mine has a tendency to bow upward during assembly and can pinch a nut in the barrel--about 1/3 of the way out.

If the nuts slide out freely and that's not an issue check your tolerances. The barrel opening height must be less than nut+cord or it will always choose the easy way around the nut.

The cord will flatten out some, so measure it with calipers and squish it good to simulate this.

Friction from the cord will erode cheap plywood in the trigger area quickly--i think Joerg estimated around 100 shots.

Maybe you can build it back up with bondo, or some other two-part resin or epoxy product.

If your tolerances are OK Joerg recommends using a good two part wood glue to saturate and make these areas strong/slick/resistant.

Hope this helps so you can get back to the plinkin' fun:D

15. slingshotkevin

slingshotkevin New Member

Thanks for the advice but I took the whole thing apart, checked the tolerances, and made the necessary adjustments but it still does not work. The same problem occurs. The string goes around the nut and the nut stays in the back of the barrel. Any help is welcome.
    Thanks
    Kevin

16. Slagskimmer Mike

Not sure what is going on.

Maybe put some chalk or crayon on the cord, fire it, and see exactly where it is getting past the nut.

If you can upload a picture or two while it is still apart we may be able to spot what is going on.

As my paracords break, the inside strands sometimes break before a hole shows in the sheath part.
    Then it is effectively thinner and jumps nuts in my barrel.

I tried cutting vinyl tubing spiral-like (helix) and using it to beef up a cord that was dying. This solved that problem, but at the expense of much power. Any weight you push other than ammo is always bad, and the melted spots told of evil friction. Just being a lazy shortcut hunter.:p

More details of the problem are needed, but we'll get to the bottom of this...