My obsession: Ammo Dispenser!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by coyote-1, Jan 28, 2014.

1. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Just tossing an idea out here so I don't forget about it....

One thing I have always thought about with slingshots is that the ammo ought be close at hand and easy to quickly grab one. There's no closer or more convenient place than the body of the slingshot itself, if a storage/dispenser system is properly designed.

So my next project will likely be inspired by a combo of the top pic, and the metal device in the bottom pic. It will have an entirely metal square (or rectangular) tube body and handle, and almost the entirety of it will store lead ball ammo. I'll create a spring-door ammo loading point (sorta modeled after the Winchester carbine loading point) that is separate from the dispenser, so that ammo can be very quickly loaded.

The pivoting fork is great; I have one on my dual-pivot laser aimed slingshot, and the accuracy is excellent with zero fork hits as it is self-aligning. So I will incorporate that. It will also have a removeable folding wire brace (removeable to keep it legal here in NY).

Once that's all done I'll have to add some exterior material, both for grip and to quiet the ammo rattling around inside.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Can't wait to see progress on this one!

I think you may be on the track of a great idea.
    Best of luck and please update as you work on it.

3. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Here's one possible concept for it:

[​IMG]

Would require a couple welds, along with a means to lock the wrist brace open. The fork lock was a first impression. It can probably be simplified. I'll have to think on it a bit.

The ammo inlet can be a simple piece of spring steel.

I'm imagining applying a coating to the interior steel, perhaps something like InstaSeal. That would quiet the ammo banging around a bit. (It could also coat the exterior.)

The wrist brace could also pivot on both ends, so that when stored it folds completely flat.

This is a first run through the idea. No doubt there will be changes before I begin building.

EDIT: Here's a concept of it folded and stored. The fork would need a clip attached on the side it's stored on:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. egmont

egmont Slingshot General

Nice the design reminds me of a MAC 10 or an uzzi or something! :)
    if you feel it up with lead balls its gonna be heavy, i dont know if its bad or good because its gonna effect your stability though i dont know how i can imagine its good. i have build one my self primarily out of wood and its very light, not to easy to use!

i found out something about the stock thoug!!!
    you dont want to put your armrest in the middle of the stock but move it to the left (if you hold it in your right hand) then the slingshot is gona follow the stretchline of the rubber.

Attached Files:

5. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Yours looks great! Love the wooden ones, they are like fine furniture.

On mine the fork will pivot. So the armrest position will not in fact affect the stretchline of the rubber.

As for the weight, it's something I'll have to find out whether it's good or bad. I know when you're shooting a pistol the weight helps keep it stable. And in fact many commercial slingshots have stabilizers that strategically add weight. The tradeoff is that heavier = more problematic to carry. I'm guessing the whole slingshot, if loaded with perhaps twenty five .68 lead balls, will weigh in at around three pounds.

It certainly won't be pretty lol

6. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

First 'manifestation' update: found a source for the steel rectangular tubing. Have to buy 20 feet, but it's only $27 so I'll live with owning some extra.

Also figured out how to make it work without welding. Convenient since I don't own a welder, and having it be able to disassemble might come in handy.

7. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

After multiple tries at different styles of ammo dispensers for heavy lead ball ammo (.58, .68), I've found that getting a single piece dispensed is not easy! lol I either get a stuck mechanism that dispenses nothing, or the whole magazine wants to empty. Lead is far 'stickier' than steel or glass.

I was looking at ball plungers as a possible solution, but they are pricey. Then it occurred to me that I might be able to accomplish the desired goal with a retractable ballpoint pen! The Xeno pens from Staples have metal clickers, so they might be a great resource. Replace the spring with something a bit stiffer, and it could work.

And if it doesn't, I've only spent a few bucks on a handful of pens.
    Will update when I do my experiment.

UPDATE: the clickers on these pens are good. But they don't have a flange, so I will have to create a substitute flange from steel wire. Seems it will work.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014