My new Pocket Thunder

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JimRhodo, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

It's not handmade and its not beautiful but its not zinc alloy either My first eBay was 109g. This 9mm stainless steel Chinese ss is 222g (8oz). It was heftier than I expected but rapidly growing on me.

Attached Files:

2. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

The huge (to me) rings cause the bands to position at 12 o'clock 9 o'clock and sometimes even 6 o'clock. I'm left handed and hold the cat horizontally at 9 o'clock. So setting up my aim is challenging. Any advice? Most of my shots group down and to the right of where I'd expect.

Attached Files:

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Jim, before every shot, you need to align the bands. To do this holding the slingy in the right hand and pouch/ammo in the left,
    gently pull the bands against the top of the fork rings then rotate to your natural draw. You will be able to be consistent this way.

4. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Thanks Dolomite. You set me on the road to putting a few other things right too. I did what you said and realised that I was holding the cat back to front. Comfy but wrong. I was also turning the pouch through 180* not 90*.
    I have now pulverised an egg carton. Not at a great distance but more consistently. I've still got loads to learn but it's getting better all the time.

This is a great forum and its helping me learn like I'm in slingshot college.

5. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

I use the method Dolo mentioned, but I start by allowing the slingy to hang from the bands as I load the pouch, so when I grab the slingy with my shooting hand (left hand in my case), the bands tend to be near the top center of the rings already. :cool:

6. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Thanks Pelleteer.
    In addition hanging the frame is a visual check that the rings are facing in the right direction. It also means irregular shaped ammo is as centred as possible.

So far I've learned loads to get me started:
    The acronym SLIDAAR for
    STANCE- feet comfortably apart with cat shoulder in line with the target
    LOOK- not just at the can but the dot on the i of the writing on the can.
    INHALE- and relax
    DRAW- as you exhale
    ANCHOR- before aiming
    AIM- align the bands, the frame etc to the target
    RELEASE- when everything is perfect gently release and hold everything until the ammo is well on its way.

Ammo: gumballs, Reese's Pieces, M and Ms, freeze them if they squash, hex bolts, marbles, ball bearings
    eBay catapults: beware and use lightweight bands if at all
    Dankung website to avoid inferior imitations which can be dangerous if not fatal

The list could go on and on

I'm now working on ideas for a portable catch box which can go in a ruck sack.
    Probably based on a sheet and paracord.

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Glad to be of assistance. BTW, I like the slidaar technique, sounding kinda dirty is just a bonus!

8. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Aah, facing the right way and nicely centred. Thanks chaps.

Attached Files:

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I hated my dancing hunter for 5 shots, then my brother said "dumbass it looks backwards". I hate when he's right.

10. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Going by your review you love it now. I feel less of a dunce after your admission too. Ta.

11. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Where is a good place for lightweight Chinese bands suitable for a ten year old? And is there any thing else I should be considering safety wise?

12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I don't know about bands, the lightest dankung is still kinda heavy. As for safety, wear safety glasses at all times whilst shooting or being on the range. I use firearm safety precautions even with a slingy.

13. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Oops, Slidaar is from Bill Hayes in USA. I don't think it's copywrited but he is an amazing catapultist. He aims at threads and slices playing cards at simply phenomenal distances. He also teaches very well. Credit where it is due.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Most bands I've used have been pretty strong, save for one - Marksman. Their standard tubes, the ones that typically come on their slingshots, are fairly easy to draw. Should work fine for a 10 year old. These would be the red Marksman tubes.

15. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Haven't had much success looking for Marksman red bands. What about solid square elastic as a tough fabric easy draw not too fast band?

Incidentally the pocket thunder is already becoming more consistent with marbles mainly but also stones. What sort of distance would I expect to get from 4 stranded 1745 bands? I shot a few on an empty golf course and it was hardly going into orbit. At 10 metres it seems very powerful.