My New Catchbox

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Haze, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Haze

Haze New Member

Very proud of this. I have never done any sort of wood working so I am really really happy that this is square, level, and works.:)

Attached Files:

2. Haze

Haze New Member

I forgot to mention that it now has internal lighting for night shooting LOL.

3. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

do you really want to shoot at it? :eek:

you'd had to make it much more uglier!

nice and precise work!

4. Haze

Haze New Member

I must admit that I'm going to be pretty upset the day a slug somehow manages to punch through the back - I plan to get some 20mm steel so with the right setup it will make holes in the thing with ease. But the drop in rails allow different cloths to be used so I can put a heavy towel in the rear one and keep the sheet in front *fingers crossed*.

5. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

not to speak of the devil to make him show up, but imagine a band tear during the shot and a hit on the corners/edges. heheh. :D

6. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

Very nice.
    A lot of time went into this project.
    You must love your hobby.

7. Haze

Haze New Member

I do love sling shooting but have only been at it for 6 weeks or so and made about 10 slingshots before doing any shooting because I had no idea how to make a catch box and my first attempt at improvising failed.

I have an 11 month old crawling daughter and a wife who said it's all over if she finds one stray ball bearing anywhere (baby choking risk etc), so I had to put things on hold while I worked out the catch box thing.

In the end, I drew plans and used them to work it all out, because I have never built anything like this.

8. Haze

Haze New Member

Yes - well, it will happen likely sooner than later as I am so new to this. Hopefully it will be a small shot. Probably should put some rubber on the front or something.

9. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very nice catchbox and very good job. Making plans to build it was a good idea. Like John "Hannibal" Smith would say: "I love it when a plan comes together".

10. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Very nice, we definitely need to get the ball rolling on that soon ourselves.

11. Haze

Haze New Member

I could always pretty my plans up and send them to you as "as built" plans if that would help?

12. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very impressive work. I also need to build myself a catchbox, as soon as I figure out if I have to move or not.

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a very nice piece of work sir! I was thinking about the same idea you had regarding slots in the top to allow insertion/removal of dowels for easily replacing the backing materials. Very nice. I wouldn't mind seeing some plans drawn up myself. And the addition of the light is a great idea too - just one suggestion from an electrician in case you haven't already considered it - if you plan to use this outside, and if your home is not already equipped with GFCI receptacles outside, please be certain to add GFCI protection - you can get them built in to an extension cord. With the potential of wet mixed with potential damage to the wiring or light from the shots, it's a good piece of insurance for your safety. Newer homes in the US are required to have GFCI protection on external receptacles, older homes like mine do not, so you have to add it yourself.

14. Haze

Haze New Member

Thanks etrain. Actually, my lights are battery powered leds so I'm safe as houses. We do have a legal requirement for RCDs in Australia, but I'm not going AC power. Don't have the skillz. I will sort out the plans next weekend.

15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very nice work! Well-built and an excellent design!
    If I ever get home, I have to build one like this. I'm using a few towels hanging from a blackberry bush now

16. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I need to build a catchbox.........missing my marbles and steel balls all over the garden....

17. LW

LW New Member

Thank God I do not have a garden ...:D

18. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

A very nice box. But one day it will look like Bill Hayse's and you will keep shooting in it as he still does. Enjoy!

19. Haze

Haze New Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

20. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

So nice.......so pretty......so doomed!