My Modified Pump Action Hex Nut Slingshot Rifle

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by krayvis, Jun 5, 2013.

1. krayvis

krayvis Slingshot Noob

Hello all, I made my very first slingshot last week. It's a modified version of Jörg's M10 shooter that takes larger 1/2" hex nut ammunition. I will post a proper video of this sometime next week after my friends get a chance to shoot it. One of them has a Canon SLR so I can get some 60 FPS footage to better calculate the muzzle velocity.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xdSv8vLR3Ns" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I'm using a lighter band set here because I don't want to break my plywood creation before I've had a chance to play with it. It seems like it would hold up well enough, but I want to start off cautiously...

There are a few flaws and features I never got around to implementing, but I hope you like it. (Thanks and bye bye.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

Wow this looks awesome and some excellent video making skills too :)

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice!!, i like the "bolts" look

4. artons

artons New Member

pretty cool slingshot-rifle!
    think it's also very strong, it will resist using hard bands

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very nice build! I like the feeder/ammo dispenser/whatever you came up with! :D

But doesn't the bolts and nuts make it very heavy?

6. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Big thing, it looks really serious.

There is a free chrony app available for smartphones, it can check the velocity by listening shoot-hit noises and calculate them over the distance shooter-target. Tested, it works and on youtube there are videos about.

Here you are, Edith: :D [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7xhXluDLw[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  7. krayvis

krayvis Slingshot Noob

Thanks guys! Failure, the bolts do add some weight over regular screws, but #8 hardware isn't *too* heavy. A full magazine of hex nuts adds to the weight more than that.

G_Y, that's a good idea, I will give it a try.

8. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

You should post some blueprints.

9. krayvis

krayvis Slingshot Noob

It may very well happen but I have a few more modifications I'd like to make first, like a permanent rear sight among other things. I'll detail future plans a bit more once I get a proper testing video up.

Stay tuned, and thanks for the support guys!

10. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

omg amazing weapon, a lot of work on it, good work

mi post number 100!!! every time I like more this site

11. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

How much did it cost to build it?

12. krayvis

krayvis Slingshot Noob

I used:
    [~$5] 1/4" plywood board (effective thickness of 5mm)
    [~$10] #8 machine screws, nuts, flat washers
    [~$4] bag of 1/2" hex nuts
    [~$5] 1/4" neodynium disk magnets (got a pack of 30 on amazon)
    [???] about a foot of theraband (your cost will vary, but I bought a roll of 6 feet, so it's a tiny fraction of the bulk cost. maybe $2 or so for this slingshot)
    [???] 4x1" pine board for the slingshot forks. 6 feet at home depot for under $8, so I used less than a dollar's worth of it.

Elmer's glue (didn't have wood glue, but it sets nicely if you give it time)
    Krazy glue (for the magnets)

Scrap plastic (like from credit cards) to reduce friction in certain areas.

I would say the total cost is maybe around $30 if you have the tools and determination.

13. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

Thanks for the price info.

14. slawek

slawek New Member

Great weapon, and really professional movie :)

15. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

Another question how long did it take you to build and how many hex nuts does it hold?

16. krayvis

krayvis Slingshot Noob

I worked on it over about a week and a half, couple hours a day and taking a few days off. If I had more tools it would've gone faster, but I had to make sure everything I wanted to do was feasible with a dremel, a drill, and a jigsaw. Sanding also took up a fair amount of time, since I wanted to attain a good level of finish.

I'm sure Joerg could finish it in under a third of the time, with his arsenal of tools and experience.

Edit: And about 25 rounds is the magazine capacity.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  17. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

Thanks for the info.

18. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Excellent work , both gun and video. What was your reason to move the mag to the bottom? It will make it better for aiming, certainly. Joerg shoots instinctively, so his sights are just cosmetic I think.

I built one from his plan, converted to inches. If you try to aim it like a rifle it shoots low of course. I've always shot it from the hip shotgun style for faster fire rate.

I'm with Onnod about the bolt look, it looks positively badass, and is superior if you need to open it up very many times.

Thanks for posting this, now maybe I'll rebuild mine before I forget how much fun it is to shoot.

19. krayvis

krayvis Slingshot Noob

Glad you like the aesthetics :)

Moving the magazine tube had two reasons:
    1) like you said, *theoretically* it's better for accuracy. the barrel lines up closer with your line of sight.
    2) I had been hoping to better approximate the ergonomics of a real shotgun, including loading nuts from the bottom, or even make some sort of removable magazine.

In the end though, the removable magazine/shotgun-style loading was just absolutely too ambitious for a first-time builder like me. Maybe next time... ;)

As for the first point, I put a small sight on the front of the slingshot, and a raised sight at the rear. It combats bullet drop, and has the added effect of making it easier to aim. I didn't put enough of a drop on the rear stock so getting your eyes level with the top of the barrel is slightly awkward. With the raised rear sight, my cheek isn't pressed so hard against the stock.

I'll point that out when I make a proper Joerg Sprave style test/demonstration video.

20. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Well thought out. I'm looking forward to your video.

I see now that mine could work with sights if the rear one were fairly high. I had thought while shooting that the fork/muzzle plate was blocking all sight of the impact spot.