The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Drew Bilbrey
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! I started this natural deadwood beech chalice a few days ago after Dan challenged me in the open challenge thread. I made the palm swells from some scrap walnut I had laying around. I was a pretty good ways into the build. Just had to get it sanded down. I thought to myself, "I should strength test this thing.," and she snapped. Oh well. :/

Attachments

·
Drew Bilbrey
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I'm not one to put that much time into something and not finish it. :) So, I glued it back together, pinned it, and here she is now. I finished it with tung oil and paste wax. If anyone is wondering, no I won't be shooting this one. I just wanted to see the finished product. It'll go on my shelf with the rest of my personal collection. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
835 Posts
Nice Drew,sucks it snapped but the repair is great.I would shoot it with some Light single bands.

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
That thing is a beauty Drew. Nice deadwood and everything. At least you can use it as a show piece.

·
Drew Bilbrey
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice Drew,sucks it snapped but the repair is great.I would shoot it with some Light single bands.
Thanks Axel! This one won't be banded. I've got plenty of others to play with. :D
That thing is a beauty Drew. Nice deadwood and everything. At least you can use it as a show piece.
Thanks Dan! That's what I was thinking.

·
120 Posts
Way better to have it fail during a strength test, than when you put a pouch on your cheek D;
looks good, better luck on your next ones!

·
Drew Bilbrey
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Way better to have it fail during a strength test, than when you put a pouch on your cheek D;
looks good, better luck on your next ones!
Thanks Steve! That's how I feel about it too. :)
A beauty and a fantastic (repair) job! Shocklay would sell it for some hundret bucks! Keep it up!
Thanks Sepp! He probably would! Lol!

·
Registered
400 Posts
That was a good looker and it’s a shame it snapped like that, but it’s also a good thing it did so during a strength test. Far better to fail then than when you’re shooting it and have it at full draw so it would send the broken piece flying back into your face.

·
Drew Bilbrey
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was a good looker and it’s a shame it snapped like that, but it’s also a good thing it did so during a strength test. Far better to fail then than when you’re shooting it and have it at full draw so it would send the broken piece flying back into your face.
Amen to that my friend!

·
Slinger of Shots
2,070 Posts
What a beauty. And great repair/plastic surgery. #thumbsup

1 - 20 of 23 Posts