My last handmade

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by iranzo87, Feb 10, 2014.

1. iranzo87

iranzo87 Member

What you think?

Mediterranean Pine wood

Attached Files:

2. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Nice job but when you shoot it, be careful. Shoot it with a fully supported grip and if you ever have any fork hits, inspect the frame fully and carefully before you do any more shooting with it. Pine board cuts can sustain serious damage from fork hits and they’ve been known to split and break apart. You don’t want part of that frame to come flying back into your face.

3. iranzo87

iranzo87 Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll get it.
    I'll put some smooth tires.;)

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Pine is very soft, do put it with hard bands other than that great job

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

5. Sidewalkhunter

Sidewalkhunter Hoden

the toy every boy wants! nice!

6. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

The Spanish terms for trees don't always translate well into English. This fork is not at all made from a pine softwood. It looks to be from the Quercus family, perhaps Ilex or Suber. It is more like a cross between oak and mahogany, and should have plenty of natural strength.

-Wild Bill

7. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Good input! You know the European wood lingo better than I do. I’m the NYS Fork Hit King and I get uneasy when I see talk about using pine board cuts. I’ve busted board cut frames with fork hits. I was lucky I didn’t get any flying pieces in my face. These days I shoot polymer and G10 frames to keep it safe.

Something in the oak/mahogany area should be safe as long as you don’t shoot like me.

8. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I've been a builder of high-end furniture with exotic woods for almost three decades. It's my business to know what wood is what, and what is pictured above just isn't a soft pine. And, since he admitted that it's from the Mediterranean, there are only a few options for that kind of grain.

-Wild Bill

9. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

i looove it! maybe you could do something like burning your initials in the handle???
    Paul

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It looks very nice. I like the grain and the pattern you used to make this one. Well done.