My first ss - looking for input/ideas

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Minsc, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Minsc

Minsc New Member

Hi, my name is Igor and I am from Slovenia. I just found out how interesting and amazing community on this forum is!

Well to get to the point... i am trying to make my first SS that i can use as a target shooting SS. So I will not use very strong bands and would prefer speed and accuracy.

So this is what i came up with. (as you can see i barely started).. i used oak hardwood and steel for forks.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

So what do you guys think? My main concern is.. how can i attach bands on it.. for the handle as you can see I will try incorporade a triangular shape and maybe make a triangular metal hole on the bottom for the strap.. And i have an idea of making triangular wood shaped top of the forks so that I could attach bands? :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

welcome Igor! you could attach your bands by attaching a piece of wood to the fork tips as you said, but i think this design will also work very good using the clamp-on method

3. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

hi and welcome igor!

i'll vote for the clamp-on method as onnod mentioned.

are you sure, this is steel not aluminium? you could bend the forks over to the outer sides and use the matchstick method ...

4. Minsc

Minsc New Member

Wow what a quick replays! Thanks!

Yes I am leaning towards clamp-on method. It is steel, as it is very hard to bend.. :) MaddyMax.. hmm that is interesting! I think i can manage that..

But in any case I will post the progress. But it would look amazing that triangular wooden fork-end ..

5. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

if you decide for the wooden fork ends, be sure they're not too small/brittle and rock solid glued/screwed on.

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like the top cap idea myself, perhaps a larger, rounded surface will help to extend band life rather than to have it up against the metal directly. I've seen slingshots with a cap on top of a metal fork and they do look nice. Welcome to the forum.

7. Minsc

Minsc New Member

I have seen something similar on the forum too and i loved the idea of wood and steel..plus as you said it would also extend band life but as MaddyMax wrote.. it must be a strong wood (oak is very hard) but attaching it and making it rock solid design.. i am still not sure how to.. :confused:

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Perfect question to put out to the forum! I'm no expert in bonding wood to metal, but I do know there are some good epoxy products out there that will certainly do the job. If you have some of the same wood of sufficient size that will work, then even better as it would match the handle. Perhaps one of the expert woodworkers here can offer some advice on how to make a proper cut into the wood cap or they may have another suggestion altogether for capping it. I have no doubt it can be done.

9. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

nathan from flippinout/simpleshot did a nice video about abrasive epoxy bonding. to be on the save side, i'll combine it with glued in bolts (but this would weaken the wood because of holes in it maybe?).

10. Minsc

Minsc New Member

My thoughts exactly.. i do have quite a lot of the same matching wood.. so i am thinking of making nice and big enough triangles and glue it on with some very strong glue.. hmm i also dont know how much a hole would compromise wood strenght ..

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well in your first post, you mention you won't use really strong bands. I would think as long as you don't make the pieces too small and don't make the cut so deep that you're only left with a few mm of wood above the cut. I see no reason a piece of wood properly secured with epoxy wouldn't handle a regular band set.

12. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGCGcugUBiQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGCGcugUBiQ[/ame]

13. Minsc

Minsc New Member

Thank you for all the help! Much appreciated! And that video is also very helpful!

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Welcome Igor! I like this project very much, and it looks like you are well on the way to making a great shooter!
    I agree with the suggestions to add wood caps on the fork tips. I think that would look very good. Perhaps, instead of a screw, you might use thin brass rods in conjunction with epoxy to anchor the caps. This way you can drill a very small diameter hole in the wood and decrease the risk of cracking.

15. Minsc

Minsc New Member

Hi Will, thank you! Wow I think that is a great idea! Hopefully tomorrow I can make some progres :)

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

gflex the wood on top, you won't need bolts, gflex is a new wonder of the world. I bonded oak and purpleheart to aluminum with it and can tell you it aint gonna come apart. Just follow the directions in the pamphlet to a T. West Systems won't say why but the "abraid through wet epoxy" method in the directions state it's necessary. Good luck and welcome to the house of Usher.
    cheers
    Dolo

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Ooooo, do we get to see this creation soon D?

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

BV and I will launch the "Twins seperated at birth" together when we get done. It'll be a while as we haven't started yet. BV and I are not exchanging any info to each other as far as they go. The excercise is to see what seperation at birth does to twins and how the culture and surroundings can affect upbringing. Sorry to make you wait,E.
    Dolo

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Oh, come on.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFsFiDRwPqc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFsFiDRwPqc[/ame]

20. dolomite

dolomite Banned

That was by lightyears the best YT bearing comment today! I'll do my best.