My first slingshot.

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by GunGuy, Feb 4, 2014.

1. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

It's still a work in progress, but I don't think I am doing too bad for the first 2 hours of the build. I had some 3/8 (10mm) plate aluminium sitting around at the shop and a couple of hours to kill, so I started cutting stuff up till I came up with this.
    [​IMG]
    It is going to be my power shooter for the big steel ammo I got from work and it can be used for brass-knuckles when the zombies attack.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Right on man! Great idea and this is going to look killer in aluminum! Keep up the good work!

3. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

I really hope you guys are happy with yourselves, I had no intentions of building a slingshot when I woke up this morning and bam just like that I have another hobby. I already shoot, reload, boat, camp, off-road, fish, collect knives and blow-dart guns. My wife is going to kill me. Oh yea I forgot the drag racing thing too.

4. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

I like it, can't wait to see the finished SS.

5. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

Keep at it love to see it finished. :)

6. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Looks good so far. Nice idea.

7. nijam

nijam tiro loco

i love brass knuckles handles

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

This is what I mean when I say people making impressive first attempts! Looking forward to seeing it finished :)

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Looks good so far, I can't wait for the final result!

As for the infection, well, that's on you, you wandered into these woods and took a big whiff of the Theraband-laden air. Yes, only you can bear that responsibility. The only solution now is to keep building, it's the only way to keep the disease at a manageable level. As for your wife, the best thing to do is infect her with this as well, it's been proven in numerous scientific studies conducted by Guru Baba that this is the best way to handle your concern.

10. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

I welded her up and didn't like the feel with just the the 3 sides, so I completely filled it in with welds on the back side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It didn't come out quite as nice as I hoped, but trying to weld substandard aluminum is kinda like wrangling kittens.
    I have a question for you experts, what are the advantages or disadvantages to having a band clamp system verses just wrapping around the forks?

11. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

That is very nice. You don't even need bands on that. You could poke a zombie in the eyes and punch him out:D awesome

12. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Band clamp system is quicker band change and it a lot stronger. In fact joerg uses it for his sling cannon

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

13. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

After reading my post again today I noticed it didn't make much sense. My question about band clamps was geared towards do band clamps wear out the bands faster because of the pinch points. I am thinking about adding some clamps with thumb screws for quick band changes since I have several different types of ammo. One other quick question, can you use tube bands under a pinch clamp?

14. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

Nobody has an opinion on clamps? How about anodizing aluminum, do we have any experts in that field? I am getting conflicting information on a couple of questions.
    1. Does the aluminum have to be polished to get a good finish on it, or would it be ok as long as the whole thing is sanded with the same grit paper?
    2. will the areas where it is welded come out looking the same as the rest of the body?

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

That is frakin' awesome!

16. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I'm another one with too many hobbies and a wife who wants all my time. Wives have ways of making us comply too. Build her a nice slingshot and teach her to shoot well.

I think forum member "Flicks" is well versed in home anodizing procedures. He has some beautiful PFS shooters.

17. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I cant believe I missed this thread, looks awesome GunGuy.

Band clamps are great for quick changes, I don't know about band life with metal clips.
    I use flipClips on my scout and havent noticed any abnormal wear, I change bands quite often as I shoot different ammo a lot. I use looped tubes and latex flatbands with mine.
    I suppose you could use single tube bandsets with a clamp you might have to make the band groove a little wider and deeper so the clamps get decent purchase on the tube without stressing the screws too much.

as for anodising, flicks anodised some PFS' shooters not too long ago. check them out HERE, you could try sending him a PM and see what he says

**Buckshot beat me to it, great minds think alike they say**

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  18. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

You guys talked me into the band clamps, so I blasted out a set on my lunch hour. I got the grove perfect in the SS forks and came to the realization that I am a dumbass, in my haste to finish while on lunch I didn't notice I cut the groove on the back side of the forks.
    [​IMG]
    I think I am going to make the groove go all the way around so it looks like I planned it that way. Plus if I were to lose a clamp I could still wrap the bands.

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like how the final version turned out. It would be cool to have one, but I suspect it would be illegal here - according to our state laws, brass knuckles are illegal and I suspect they would classify this model as such. Cool idea though.

20. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member