My First Slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by WildBill, Nov 17, 2013.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

It's not for me- it's for Rules1523 via the trade. I understand he likes the 'pinch grip' so I did what I could (with advice from BV). Anywho, here's my first attempt at a slingshot. I just oiled it so it's not dry yet so the bands are not added.

-Edit- it is sycamore, with natural wormholes.

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

It's suposed to be a surprise trade Bill!!!!

3. WildBill

Well, phooey. It's my first one- I had to show my baby pictures.

Edit- and besides.. You didn't get mad at Tremo when he showed HIS trade...

-Wild Bill

4. WildBill

BV has informed me that I broke the rules by posting this pic, so I won't send this to Rules- I'll use it myself and make a different one for Rules. Peace!

-Wild Bill

5. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Tough judge! Bug I think since it was stated in the rules(i think) I guess a correct call.

WB why leave he handle so long?

6. WildBill

Why leave the handle so long? 'Cause I don't know better. Rules1523's new slingy has a different stance, shorter handle and is more conducive to a pinch-grip.

-Wild Bill

7. LW

LW New Member

Hey Bill, your first slingshot should always stay with you, whether they become good or bad.
    In your case I would say that the slingshot came out very well.

So you should be grateful that BV has prevented you to give away you holy first one. :D

8. WildBill

I'll agree that, because of the worms, it has some holes and thus is holy.

To be honest, I wasn't all that happy with it- especially since I didn't think of the whole grip thing until after I'd stated. This next one will be better.

-Wild Bill

9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Not exactaly broke the rules..........no need for drama, my friend!:D

10. WildBill

Dude... I love drama. But I still don't think this little slingy is really good for Rules so I already have a new one in the works. I'll get it shipped by DEC 4th so we're Kosher.

-Wild Bill

11. WildBill

Okay... I think the general consensus is that this really sucks rocks. It's sanded and polished well, but the form of it is really bad and unworkable. That's okay- I need to start somewhere and since my workshop is unavailable this is where I began my path. But I did learn alot from making it and so my next effort(s) can only improve from here. Again, I do thank all of my fellow forumites for your input, support and, most importantly, for putting up with all of the other non-slingshot crap I put y'all through on a daily basis.

-Wild Bill

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I agree with the others, don't get rid of it. It's not a bad slingshot at all. It's your first one! It should be cherished.

13. WildBill

I suppose that it's value is in what I learned. I know how to make wood look pretty (I am an accomplished furniture builder, after all) but the specifics of slingshots are still mysterious to me. What is obviously problematic about this build is that the intended user wields it with a pinch-grip: and I could not make this particular slingshot work with that style and still be structurally viable and comfortable to hold. Note to self- lesson learned.

Interestingly enough, it was you, Withak, that saw a particular fork in my photo of forks awhile back and said that you liked the curves of it. As it turns out, that particular fork does have the stock to make a pinch shooter that is comfortable with the right hand and still have enough fork to carve a nice OTT shooter. Thus, as a result of your observance, I chose it to start anew and am already in the buffing process with it after carving the needed grooves for a right-handed pinch grip. So, thank you for your sharp eye- I would expect nothing less from an eagle's perspective.

-Wild Bill

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It's funny how folks will see different things in different pieces of wood. I suspect if you put one fork in front of 10 people and had them build it out, you'd end up with 10 very different creations. But I think that's part of the fun of building. Your vision is what comes out and that says something about you.

As for being an accomplished furniture maker, that gives you a certain leg up over many folks. My background is that I'm a commercial/industrial electrician. I don't know that translates too well into building slingshots - heck, I still can't figure out where I connect the darned neutral on these things! I've never been much of an artist, but I'm finding that if I allow myself to 'feel' my way through the wood, I can find something buried in there. I'm probably my own biggest critic, and that's probably how it should be. In the end, I find the process of building the most important part for me. I guess some folks might call it cathartic. I don't know if it goes that far for me, but I do find it both challenging and relaxing. And that, is what appeals to me.

I would imagine, with your skill in building, you could even take that fork, if you're really not happy with it, make a cut or two to the parts you don't like, and laminate some other wood in to make the grip work the way you want.

15. WildBill

To be honest, I'm making molar dust while waiting my upcoming move. My whole workshop is packed in a storage center until the company I work for finalizes my transfer to Omaha, NE. This should have taken place this week but I received notice that it is on hold for three more weeks- so I have to live out of cardboard until then. I'm happy that they are paying for everything in the move but it is still annoying as hell.

I am not a skilled wood carver. Yes, every piece of furniture in my house I made and with that said my wife is happy with the decor (need I say anything else?) but I have done little carving. For the pieces I have built for my home as well as countless others, scrollwork has been my hallmark. I can make a router sing Wagner if I want it to. What I am really looking forward to is having my full shop up and running and doing some slingshots with my scrollwork techniques. I have already drawn up some ideas and I can assure you that come next summer you will see some Wild Bill creations that should be acceptable to this very discerning community. In the meanwhile, I'll make this natural fork for Rules- not the one pictured but a much better one- and also make a silly music-video about it 'cause I'm also silly that way.

-Wild Bill

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

We'll all look forward to some of that scrollwork. And yes, I'll be expecting a Wagner piece on the router :)

17. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

If this is acctualy your first one it will be an honor to see your getting better steps by your ss 2-5 trust me it will getting better and better!
    This one are a beauty so what will come next!