My First Share (not my first slingshot)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Withak, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting where your inspiration can come from. Last week my daughter and I were out shopping and we just happened to wander down an isle with a variety of home items, including one that caught my eye. It was $3, and I saw that it had some potential as a slingshot, so I bought it, made a few quick modifications and came up with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The material, I think, is simply polycarbonate. It's not very think (only 3/16", just under 5mm), but is strong enough for a single layer of TBG. At full draw, it only has a small amount of flex. I haven't tried it with a double layer, but I think this material could handle it.

So, what was this made from? Here you go:

[​IMG]

Just a simple, inexpensive over-the-door coat hanger! I cut off the curved ends and the metal bracket:

[​IMG]

Then simply sanded the edges with some 220 grit sandpaper to round things out a bit.

Simple, quick, light-weight and thin. This is a slingshot you could easily pocket or throw in a pack. As for shooting, so far, it shoots great! I've shot everything from 1/4" and 3/8" steel to 1/2" marbles - they all seem to work just fine. I launched one marble from one end of my property to the other, about 150' (45 meters) and it made it the full distance.

Funny thing is, before I joined this forum, I would have walked by this piece and never given it a second thought. Now I'm seeing possibilities everywhere. I'll say it again, this is a bad hobby! ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice!!

3. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

nice ss

Enes

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

You got the "bug"

Hi etrain,

somehow funny to see that the impact of (Jörgs) slingshots to the world
    is making out of male humans: its (little) creative boys.

At least I hope it is so!!

(Because the only other reason why so many men "somehow" start building
    slingshots could be that soon "coincidentially" we will have to face a sweet little
    ZOMBIE-INVASION an the human race is starting to react to that on an
    anticipating, subconscious level?!- But I don´t believe in coincidence,
    for it´s a law we dont understand yet)

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Joerg's YouTube channel was what got me interested in slingshots again in the first place. I've always owned a couple, but could never really shoot them well. Then I came across Joerg's channel while watching some shooting videos (I enjoy firearms as well). I was hooked instantly. I saw things done with slingshots I had never seen before. That got me looking at slingshot videos instead of gun videos - learning new techniques, etc. Then I started on the forum, and I'm hooked. It's a great hobby because it's relatively inexpensive (for the most part) and is something you can easily fit in during periods of spare time. Definitely have the bug!

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Very very nice....looking to find a similar one in Brazil.....
    You could have kept that curvy hooks and let the bands slide over it!
    But still very nice!!

7. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

That's a nice looker and now I'll be out cruising the dollar stores and job lot stores looking for one of those...

One thought, though--shooting that one with a supported grip might be a good idea. If it's only acrylic and not polycarbonate, I'm not sure if 3/16" is sturdy enough to tolerate extensive use as a SS without running the risk of eventual failure. I might be off-base or paranoid with this idea, but exercising caution with how you use it might be what keeps a possible injury and ER visit from happening.

8. wbap

wbap Member

looks good

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I considered that BV, but with the hooks, the forks were much taller, and with the thin material, the added height reduced the strength of the forks. So, the curves had to go.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good point. I am proceeding with caution since I can't confirm the actual material - acrylic is certainly possible. Another benefit of cutting the forks down a bit lower to reduce the overall strain. I'm likely not going to try anything stronger than a single layer of TBG. Testing it today, it held up very well, showing no evidence of undue stress, though I will stick with smaller ammo on this one. Safety glasses will be in use at all times, to be sure.

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Go back and get another one. Cut the forks a lil' longer, heat them up and copy the original roll.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

BTW, I found this at Fred Meyer locally, but FM is part of the Kroger family of stores, so you may check a Kroger store if you have them in your area. I haven't scoped the dollar stores yet.

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good idea, Flipgun, I may just give that a try.

14. Otees

Otees Another Member

Nice it looks awesome. Great first post!! Its like all of us have a 'slingshot vision" as if we can see what could become a slingshot

15. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Thanks for that word, but I've never seen a Fred Meyer or anything with the Kroger name in my area.

I have however found a good source of reasonably priced small (leftover factory cutoffs) chunks of polycarbonate. I'm going to grab a couple of those and, go DIY and do a couple home-mades.

16. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Nice find! I think we have a Fred's around here. :)

17. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Good find and great little shooter. I started looking at world around me true slingshot glasses myself. ;)

18. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Sorry, i cant open the pics from this machine, but a test for acrylic vs. polycarb:
    hit a scrap piece hard with a hammer. Acrylic will shatter violently (watch your eyes etc.), while polycarbonate is more malleable until it is compromised by chemicals.

The lexan would cut ok in a shear until it had soaked in coolant---then the shear would crack it. UV light might also do this to polycarbonate over time, I'm not sure.

Either way, it will give you an idea of how brittle your piece is.

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Looks like it's acrylic. Thanks for the info Mike! I'm not a plastics guy so I was just guessing at what it may be. That said, and knowing this could be a potentially 'brittle' piece, I'm keeping the power on the lower end. Good for shooting shorter range or even indoors. Seems to stand up just find to a single layer of TBG. I'm not going to push it. I'll watch for any abrasions or anything on the surface as well that could lead to a potential failure. Now, we've got some plastics manufacturers around here, I may just need to pop in some day and see if they have any poly scrap for cheap.