My first "real" slingshot..need help

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JohnKrakatoa, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Hi there, I wanted to hear your thoughts about my creation which qualifies as my first slingshot since its not just a Y shaped stick a sawed off.
    Now , I have a problem , I didn't really think about how I'll attach theraband to it before I made it. And since I was just going off by Joerg's Picassa gallery I prolly messed up and made the arms really thin so now I am pondering what the right style of attachment would be so I won't hamper the power of the bands or tear them.

So I need some expert advice what the best way would be to attach the therabands or guidance to threads where I can see if maybe someone did a thin armed slingshot like this one.

Here are the pics. I wasn't paying attention to the tree so it could be oak or beech or some other broadleaf tree, but its pretty hard.

P.S.: I know it's not perfectly symmetrical , the reason behind that is when I was sawing the wood of the tree it was really high and I barely reached up to saw it and I wasn't done 100% and it snapped off the right side of my Y piece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

The wood seems to be oak.

Nice carving fur sure, don't know how to attach the bands:(

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice! i like the spikey handle

4. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

thats very nice for a first attempt

5. JohnKrakatoa

Yeah it probably is oak, thx! I did it with my Mora companion knife mostly and finished with a round and oval rasp and finished with sandpaper and applied olive oil.

Thx! It can be used as a self-defense weapon.... or zombieEye piercer haha :D

Ty kindly.

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

7. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

First off that looks amazing for a first effort.

I suspect you could drill a small hole about 1" below the end of the fork, in the middle of the wide side. That would let you attach the bands vertically, or TTF style. With the forks that thin I forsee nothing but problems trying to attach bands OTT.

The other potential would be to use thin tubes doubled instead of bands, again going through a hole in the wide part of the fork.

I would keep the hole as centered and small as possible. To keep as much structural strength as you can. I also would not plan on overloading that frame.

8. JohnKrakatoa

TY for you advice and praise!
    I thought about attaching them vertically too, either with a hole like you suggested and tying it with little therabands OR making a very narrow slit along the horizontal of the forks and guiding a double length single band through each one just like you attach tubes to holes.

Also vertically wrapping it 1,5 way over the width of the fork and attaching it with little therbands in a X shape.

P.S.: What exactly does the abreviations OTT and TTF and even PFS mean?

Thank you very much!

9. artons

artons New Member

this is a beautiful first slingshot!
    and if it doesn't shoot well, you can still kill a vampire with it ;)

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Just a really beautiful Slingshot

Well done!

Thanks for posting!

Greetings to Slovakia!

Be

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

That is a great looking SS. I can't wait to see it all banded up.

12. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Bear in mind I'm pretty new at this so might have got it wrong. However, as I understand it the abreviations are short for:

OTT = Over the top! Bands are attached vertically so when pulled they go over the top of the frame.

TTF = Through the Forks Bands are attached Horizontal (or at an angle for natural forks)

PFS = Pickle fork shooter (very minimalist fork, just enough to attach bands)

On a lot of shooters you will see about a 1" square tip to the outside edge of the forks. Often with a hole or notch so bands can be attached either way. This lets them be rigged either way, making it more flexible.

Some use the hole itself to run tubes.

If you look at these pictures you can pretty easily picture using one side of the square and the notch on the inside of the fork for OTT setup. Using the other side of the square and the notch below the top on the outside of the fork for TTF. (Notch helps secure your bands I suspect it makes a big difference on how often you have to reattach)

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/max-denim-micarta-maxim-simpleshot-design-31398/#post236775

Remember, the point that the band stretch's over should be smoothly curved to avoid wear spots, make the bands last longer.

Just keep reading, building, trying new things, you'll figure it all out.

13. JohnKrakatoa

Thanks again for the explanation and advice Ghosth !

OK SO, I battled hard with the bands and I guess bands lost :D I went for TTF and used the technique BV proposed here:
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/more-efficient-way-attaching-bands-natural-ss-27038/
    so the bands wont slip. I made 20 cm long bands tapered from 2,5cm to 1,5cm which resulted in cca 14cm long bands after attachment, which is exactly what I wanted because now its a great under chin shooter and good for aim.
    I used four 20 cm long thin (3-4mm width) striped of TBG to wrap the forks and then wrap the bands onto that.
    For the pouch I used an old leather working glove which is really great coz it has both sides different ( one a bit felt like and other skin like) and left me with a 10cm x 3cm pouch reinforced at the working ends.
    I attached the pouch ends with paracord 550 inner string with 3 constrictors in sequence ( this was a pain in the ass since the bands have to be same length as much as possible and the constrictors are hard to tie on bands which have big friction and you have to hold them down folded.

I am please with how it turned out and now my only fear is the pouch will not hold and I will have to replace it soon. Wish me luck ! :D

Here are the pictures tell me what y'all think please - TY!
    Oh right !? I call it SSStake

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  14. JohnKrakatoa

Thanks a bunch ! Yours is cool too, I hope you don' mind me using your layout on the description page of SSStake's slingshot registry :D

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like it. Looks like the band attachment worked just fine. The pouch seems just a bit large to me, what kind of ammo are you going to shoot? You've got plenty of TBG to handle something a bit larger.

16. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Large pouch indeed....
    Still nice!
    So many rubber to attach bands....are you so afraid of face slaps?

17. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

I think you did a really good job with your first slingshot. It has a really nice shape. Although something I read about boat building. "A pointy end does not make the boat the tiniest bit faster but a whole lot more dangerous."

18. JohnKrakatoa

TY! I didn't buy and probably won't buy any steel balls, if I will tho I will go for ~ 9 -15cm. As of now I will be shooting anything I can find thats as much round as it gets, but mostly stones.
    Ty! Yeah.... I had one fork done very nicely with just one strip but used too much of it on the other fork under the bands so had to go for two of them there and then wanted them to be the same so...at least I wont 'get slapedp haha.

About the pouch. Does it matter if its 'big (although it doesn't seem big to me) in context of strength or percofmance??? I just wanted it to be roomy for anything I would shoot out of it.

TY haha . I will be cautious don't worry. It isn't so sharp as it looks really.. :)