my first natural ss

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by knivesgotguns, Nov 13, 2013.

1. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

I still need to finish it. I've seen some ppl say they've used olive oil to seal they're frames with, Would anyone recommend this? And how should i attach the band's? Just round off the top of the forks and put notches on the forks?

Attached Files:

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I love it's potato ness?!?! Lol nice grain

J

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I really like the shape on that, looks comfy. I use raw linseed oil but any oil that doesn't 'go off' or rot is fine. Pretty sure olive oil would be ok but don't take my word for it! Whatever oil you use it will really bring out the grain.

Good job! :)

EDIT: The more I look at this, the more I like it!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

yeah olive oil is ok. Linseed does penetrate better I think. No notches needed imo. Look HERE for band attach.

5. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Thanks for that. It looks like an awesome way to attach the band's

6. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Looks good! I can't wait to see that grain when it's finished. As for the bands, I typically round the top of my naturals and I do like to add a notch to help hold the rubber in place. But I've got two I'm working on that don't have the notch at the moment and I may leave that off. In that case, I do a single wrap of TBG strip around the bare fork first, then lay down the main band over that, then continue wrapping. I don't remember who I learned that from, but it keeps the bands from slipping, even without a notch.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Olive wil work but isnt ideal, rlo or the like is more stable and brings out the colors better.

9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

rlo, rlo, rlo!!

10. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Mate it's nicely done for a first natural! It also looks comfy!

I use Linseed oil boiled at 90 to 100°C. Temperature could be raise higher but it starts to "reek" and not so fine to breath it in. For an average frame it needs 4-to 15 min at 90°C. For example a medium hardness wood like Alder needs 4 min to suck in LO in 3-4mm depth. If you're not sure in time you can check and control the process by eyesight. BLO will go into the wood at the ends. Not all the time, but if the frame is sanded over 500 grit it will be much more porous at the end of the tips and the handle. So it will start bubbles. When bubbles stop it's just fine.

We have a large BLO bath in the family that can handle 60 liters of BLO, but at home I use a simple steel pot filled with LO and place a steel cup filled with water to control the temperature.

The attached image shows a test piece of Alder, 2cm diameter, it was at 80°C when the picture was taken.

DSC06952.jpg

For the forktips you may check Saderath's threads or dig up Arturo's thread about his bamboo frame with his special shaping based on hardcore experience.

Keep it up!
    Tremo

11. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

Thanks for the advice a lot of good info.

12. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Very symmetrical. Good job.