My first knife biuld

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by beaverIII73, Dec 7, 2013.

1. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Hello all,

I have been wanting to make my own knife ever since I was about 10 years old. I found and old Popular Mechanics DIY book in my dad's library and saw a how to on file knifes. My dad never let me make it, I guess he did think I was old enough. Years later the books and everything else in the house was blown way by hurricane Andrew and I just never made one. Until now :D The knife is 23 cm overall and the blade is about 12 cm. I used oak for the handle with 3/16 brass pins. I finished it with good old linseed oil. I also left the file grooves on the sides and top of the blade. I love the look and feel of it. Not too bad for my first knife. I have already started to two more blades. I hope you all like it.

Until next time.

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

beaver, allow me to break the rules by saying that that knife looks bitchin'. The filing remains on the blade give it a mystique, while your tooling of the handle (which I think is red oak) also blend well with the overall ascetic of the knife. Dude, you did a fantastic job despite Andrew!

-Wild Bill

3. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Thanks for the kind words Bill.

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

5. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I think it looks great!

6. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Very nice work on this Beaver! Leaving some of the file teeth sort of makes it a dual purpose blade. I also noticed in the second picture that you got it so smooth that it's reflecting your fingers and phone when you took the picture, looks almost mirror polished...! If you don't mind my asking, what all tools did you use for the stock removal and finishing?

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That looks really nice. I've never attempted to make a knife myself, but I imagine it's not an easy task. Good work.