My First Frame: Luna

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by MountainStorm, Oct 4, 2013.

1. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ADp41Eaxs[/ame]

3/8" Cell Cast Acrylic heat formed and laminated and hand profiled then blasted to make that frosty finish. Very strong and light. First attempt.

2. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O97QPBp_Lbg[/ame]

3. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

very interesting ! i would love to know more details about what this is made of and how it was done!

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very cool! i think an LED or two would make this even cooler!:D

5. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I fabricate items from Cell Cast acrylic on a regular basis. I used 3/8". One of the reasons I made the frame this way is to test the strength of the material. I was told to make it at least 3/4" thick but I have a good deal of experience with acrylic and how much load it will bear etc so I made this one to prove a point to myself.

It crossed my mind. Walmart sells little toy balls that have an LED module in them. I've used them in other toys to make them light up when struck or shaken.

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Nice I like it :)

J

7. Peterburban

Peterburban New Member

Yes! Let's bring in some led's!

8. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Very nice shooter and clean work.

9. UndeadRising

UndeadRising ROOKIE

That is awesome, most of all I love the bend in the arms

10. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I appreciate the feedback. I am going to tweak the design but keep the elements that make it so unusual. I've got an idea on how to make this an over the top shooter. I also want to simplify the band attachment...the grooves and holes are a lot of time spent with more time to spend tying and retying bands. I've got an idea for a pinch that will trap the band material without resorting to a screw down clamp.

11. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Good job! I like plastic shooters, pvc is also easy to form and makes a strong SS.
    Keep us posted.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's nice frame. I'm not familiar with cell casting, sounds like an interesting process for making slingshots. It would also be interesting to see you use this process to make some of the favorite styles from around this board. I would wonder if this plastic could hold up to a design like Joerg's Moorhammer, for example. I'll look forward to more posts about this method.

13. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Nice you joined in!

Hey Mountain,

pretty nice ss you made there!
    Makes me curious to see what you are
    going to show us in future!

Greetings,

Be

14. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

Thanks for the info. I'm using this material because I have stacks of it from other work.

There are two types of acrylic sheet: extruded and cast. Extruded is like the stuff you get from the hardware store...terrible to cut, gummy, melty, brittle, prone to crazing and stress cracks difficult to polish not optically perfect not terribly strong. Cast Acrylic is called Cell Cast because each sheet or rod or tube is cast in its own mold but all the molds are usually connected...i.e. cells. It's far more expensive than extruded but it is optically perfect and clear and a whole different animal to machine and cut and polish with good strength.

Just made a nice over the top pistol grip from acrylic today and followed that up with a Rosewood PFS. Thanks for your interest and kind words.