My first finished two

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by codido187, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Excellent work, these came out great! The one on the left is my favorite, but you did really good on both! Impressive start, but beware, the slingshot addiction is very strong:D

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Nice work! I agree with Will, the one on the left is my favourite. He is right on the addiction thing too, looks like you have made a good start towards that!

Happy shooting :)

3. codido187

codido187 New Member

The one on the left is my baby lol I'm addicted I have my next two already lined up I already got a mean fork shot lol scary stuff

4. codido187

codido187 New Member

Than you guys for the great compliments

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Your first two look way better than my first one. Great job!

-Wild Bill

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you I appreciate it any constructive criticism???

7. WildBill

It's really hard to give any without knowing how you made them. What finish did you put on (if any)? How finely sanded are they? Have you considered flat bands and attachment methods? I'm a newbe to making these myself so I'm not the guy to ask on a lot of stuff, but that's the kind of info that would help to guide you towards honing your technique with naturals.

-Wild Bill

8. codido187

codido187 New Member

I sanded both to around 100 grit no finish I like how they feel natural and I want to use flat bands I just can't afford Thera band right now :( i had to buy a part for my vehicle instead. I was thinking either through the forks but I liked over the top

9. WildBill

Theraband is pretty cheap on Ebay- I buy from this guy, who sells five feet for $7.20US which includes shipping-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Gold-Ther...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a28427297

Run through the grits. Start at 60 or 100, but then go to 150, 220, 320 and 600... even finer if your working with very hard woods like ironwood, tiger maple or purple heart. Standard cooking oils like Olive or even vegetable oil are good finishes on a budget. You just have to let them dry alot longer.

-Wild Bill

10. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you I didn't know you could use Olive oil that's crazy and 5ft for 7 bucks man I'm going to buy some probably tonight

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Those look good, nice start. Since slingshot building allows a lot of leeway for style differences, unless you've built something that is inherently dangerous in the design, I don't know any criticism is needed - even constructive. Bill's suggestions are great for getting that really nice finish. As you build your slingshots, you'll learn something from each one. Watch what others make and try to incorporate what you like in others' work into your own. Keep practicing with your shooting and you'll be avoiding those fork hits in no time.

12. codido187

codido187 New Member

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice you guys have inspired me to continue making slingshots when I get building good ones I'll keep you guys in mind :)