My first completed knife

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Obl1v1Aus, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

A little while ago I bought a couple of knife blanks on eBay and I finally got around to doing something with one of them.
    It's meant to be Damascus steel, but at the price I got it for I'm not convinced (don't know how to tell either).
    It's a full tang bushcraft knife that I've fitted with Tasmanian Oak Scales and secured with epoxy and stainless steel Corby bolts.
    Finished in BLO and my favourite furniture wax.
    It's not the best work I could do, but it's comfortable to hold and functional.
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1389400636.005851.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1389400654.287604.jpg

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very nice work!! This looks like it will feel great in the hand, plus Tasmanian Oak has an amazing grain and colour!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

3. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Will, Tasmanian Oak is a beautiful wood to work with, when its seasoned properly its very hard on tools though.
    It does look pretty plain in its raw state but the linseed makes it come alive

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That turned out really nice - Damascus steel or not, I love the patterns in the blade. The Tasmanian oak really works well against that steel. Very nice work Obvl1v1Aus.

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Withak, I agree the patterns in the steel are very appealing and the blade has some nice weight to it so it feels robust, the Tasmanian Oak worked better than I expected, I would have used a darker wood if I had some but I am very happy with how it turned out

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Very nice work!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Great piece of work there, amazingly nice knife. Where did you find those blades?

8. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks onnod!

Cheers Ghosth, I found them on eBay. It was a double pack with a full tang bushcraft blade ( the one pictured ) and a larger scandi inspired rat tail tang knife. Theres heaps of Damascus knife blanks on ebay in the US than i would love to get my hands on. But importing knives is a bit trouble some a $20 knife turns into a $100 endeavour after import taxes.

Glad you like it AngelicScars, thanks!

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

You did a great job, especially for a first!

10. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

If the blades are from ebay at a low price, then they're probably Pakistani (or possibly Indian). The Pakistani (and Indian) stuff is genuine pattern welded (aka Damascus) steel, but there's no way to know just what steels and alloys are being used. They can be perfectly functional blades, but they tend to run pretty soft, so you'll probably find you need to touch up the edges more often than some other knives.

Great work on those scales. :cool:

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks for that information pelleteer, thats handy to know. Just as well I always have a diamond stone in my pack

12. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Great job on this knife. The oak has a wonderful looking grain.

13. pelleteer

I forgot to add something above. Do these blades have shiny unetched tangs like the pic below? A lot of these blades tend to, where the pattern is only on the blade but not the tang. They often don't bother to etch the tangs, since they'll be hidden under handle scales. If this is the case and you want to check to make sure it's actually two different metals, take the one you haven't hilted yet, scrub the sides of the tang down with degreaser, then soak the last inch or so of it in a cup of ferric chloride (printed circuit board etchant). If it's true pattern welded steel, the ferric chloride will etch the high carbon steel black and leave the higher nickel steel silver, so you'll see the two tone pattern emerge. I'm pretty sure the ones you got are real, but it never hurts to check.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  14. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

They were etched all the way through, I'll sand the tang down on the other one and try that, I have heaps of ferric chloride at home (damn electronics projects)

15. pelleteer

I didn't even think of sanding the etching off if it was already finished :)o), but that'll work just fine, too. Let us know how it turns out. :cool:

16. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Time Out!
    Flag on the play!
    Are you trying to make me develop an inferiority complex?

17. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Ok quick acid etch test to see what these knives are.
    Here's the tang after it had been sanded down
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1389499054.096068.jpg
    And here it is after a quick ferric chloride etch
    ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1389499106.612056.jpg

18. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

There's nothing to feel inferior to here kohlqez.
    I'm confused as to why you would develop a complex

19. pelleteer

Looks good. You've definitely got some patterning coming out there on the tang. :cool: