My first builds...

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by ArnoldKelly, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ArnoldKelly

ArnoldKelly Renaissance Redneck

Figured I'd start building slingshots by working with natural forks. I have a cedar tree which fell in my yard several months ago. Found three forks that were in plain site and figured I'd start with those. Here they are with their bark on and de-barked.

Was surprised at how easily the bark came off, even with the dull craft knife I was using. They turned out pretty smooth, with the exception of a few knots and stubs. Shouldn't take much work to finish them off. I'm thinking the middle one is gonna turn into a PFS because it has a pretty nice natural palm swell and I think the forks are a little too close together to make it a good TTF shooter. For now, they are gonna sit around and "air-dry" for a few days. I'll post more pics as I do more work on them. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice begining! Does cedar have a thick bark? It seems that they became thinner after de-barking.

3. ArnoldKelly

Not really. I think it might be because I took the second picture further away than the first one. Plus a think the "flakiness" of the bark gives the appearance that they are larger. I did work them until the white "meat" was showing. So I may have whittled them down. LOL! :)

4. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Excellent finds on those forks. Near perfect symmetry.

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^read my mind!

As Studer mentioned, these are excellent! Can't wait to see the finished product! Good job!

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Cedar is sort of like birch peal able outer bark

J

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Soft wood of course

J

8. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Great! I'm looking forward to the outcome of these... I think I can see a very nice (classic) shooter in the fork on the left... :)

9. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

It always started with a Y.
    Im looking forward to see your finished.

10. ArnoldKelly

Each one of the forks have a unique "feature" that I think will make them great shooters. :)

11. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

Great wait for finish.