My first board cut

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by codido187, Dec 31, 2013.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

What do you think guys I'm going to sand it down completely and stain it ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388545889.597466.jpg

2. ColtSmith

ColtSmith New Member

Cool! Im geting mutiplex on the sixth so that i can make some slingshots to

3. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

Nice start! I'm sure it's gonna look great after you get it sanded down. Nice style already. Maybe add some scales to the handle for a more comfortable grip?

4. codido187

codido187 New Member

Now the question will be how do I add scales?? Id be interested to learn how

5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Looks a little rough as is to be expected before sanding and finishing. Interested to see the final product.
    As for adding scales it's pretty easy and there's more than one way to do it. You could do wood scales, micarta scales, etc. You could use pins or epoxy (both together works best)
    Basically select your material cut it to the shape of your sling's handle, you can do more than one material too, it looks cool if you have a thin layer of something along with a thicker layer of something else. Epoxy them to your sling and then add pins (wood dowels, brass or aluminum rods work best) if you want (if you do pins make sure you predrill holes that are exactly the same size as your pins maybe a little bit smaller but definitely not bigger and make sure they are straight and centered) cut your pins to length and I'd cover them with superglue before inserting into the hole. If the hole is a little too small you should file one end of your pin to fit and then gently tap it in with a rubber mallet, the superglue will lubricate until it dries so only put the glue on one pin at a time.
    After that just rasp, file, carve, and sand to the shape you want the handle.

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

7. codido187

codido187 New Member

Everyone on this site is so darn friendly you guys are awesome thank you I'm new to carpentry usually I do crazy things with grinders plasma torches stuff like that

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

If it´s not plywood..

Hey codido,

if it´s not plywood, please make sure it won´t break
    incidentially and take your eye! - Try tobreak it with
    the bench-vise-test to make sure that the weakest
    points can take the load.

Greetings to you,

Be safe!

9. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you sir it's hard deck wood I could stand on it in a vice lol

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Would love to see a metal slingshot made with a grinder and plasma cutter!

Your boardcut is looking good, like already said epoxy is perfect for attaching laminates. I would just stick a rough block of wood on and shape it on the frame, I think you get a more symmetrical shape like that. I am FAR from an expert but I found it works.

I, of course, stole the idea! Have a little look at this blog post of Joergs for an great example :)

http://slingshotchannel.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/resurr.html

11. codido187

codido187 New Member

I have something in the works metal wise but I'm keeping it a secret till it's cut out and shaped it's going to be something never done before

12. codido187

codido187 New Member

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388625760.841325.jpg
    On the left it rests against my fat hand it's all sanded down next is a palm swell

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I use titebond wood glue for everything unless metal, micarta, or plastic is used. Works perfect and way faster than epoxy.

Sent from my ME173X using Slingshot Forum mobile app

14. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

+1 on titebond- it's all I use as well. Just smear the stuff on both sides, clamp it then wipe off any excess drippings with a damp cloth. Works like a charm.

-Wild Bill

15. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thanks guys for the advice I'm definitely going to pick a bottle up soon