My First 2 Homemades

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Beest921, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

Here's a shot of two slingshots I made. The one on the right I based on Jorg's design with a few minor changes in the construction. I made it about a month and a half ago. If I put a 3/4 inch ball in it, it'll splinter wood! My wife started showing interest in slingshots because of my interest, so today I made her one. She liked the wire frame style so I made the one on the left out of 5/16 inch round stock. We shot it in the house tonight (12 degrees outside in Chicagoland). We used the plastic 1/2 inch target balls. They went through a cardboard box and an aluminum can repeatedly at 20 feet! I didn't build it for power, just for her to practice with, but it packs quite a wallop with those plastic balls! I can't wait to try steel shot in it! Both SS's are very accurate once you get to know them, and both are using Theraband. The pouches are leather cut from an old couch found in a ditch! lol. I'm currently making one out of wood, I'll post pics of it soon.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

Obviously I don't know how to post an image. I copied and pasted the URL.

3. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

4. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

cool! how long did it take you to make the second one? (yes, i know whos design it is)

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

The couch you found was circa 1974- that's the only time in history that anyone would make a couch that color. The slingshots look groovy. I've contemplated doing that W power fork that Joerg made the instructional video about awhile ago but haven't done it yet- I'm still doing naturals presently. Good stuff, Beest! A few more builds and you can be declared as being infected!

-Wild Bill

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work Beest! I like them both, but I like the W the best. I'd like to make one myself sometime. Did it take any special metal working tools to make the 1st or were you able to bend that steel with 'regular' tools?

7. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

Actually I just put the round stock in a vise and got the bend area cherry red with a mapp gas torch and slid a tube on the end and bent it. I made an actual size drawing beforehand and took some measurements as to where my bend points needed to be. At the top of the handle (under the string), I welded the two sides together with a mig welder then ground the welds smooth. The string is just hardware store string I had lying around, I'll put different string on later.

8. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

Initially it took an afternoon but I had to work some bugs out here and there to get the final result, so I don't know the total time. Maybe 6 hours total.

9. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

Thank you! Yeah I needed leather and the couch in the ditch was calling me! I cut a piece about 2 ft. by 2 ft. so I've got plenty. Probably a Brady Bunch couch! I'm making a wood slingshot out of purple heart wood right now that I'll be showing soon.

10. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

Thanks for the compliment by the way!

11. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

It's the story, of a lovely slingshot... that Beest found lying in a ditch all alone... It had leather, of a different color, that matches purple heart...

-Wild Bill

12. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Do I hear a future silly song?

13. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

I'll never be able to sing the Brady Bunch theme the same again! lol

14. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

interesting. as everyone else is saying, i ought to be getting around to making the "W" someday. i like that fact that you used a welder to weld on the sides, i wouldn't have done that.

15. Beest921

Beest921 Junior Member

It's a very sturdy slingshot! Originally I had two big pieces of Theraband gold on it and it was so hard to pull back that when I had it fully drawn to aim, my whole upper body was shaking just to hold it still! So I put the Thband black on. It still packs a punch! I restore antique and classic cars for a living and I specialize in custom steel and sheetmetal fabrication so I weld everything! Also I wanted to use solid roundstock (7/16") for the sideposts instead of the 1/2" threaded rod and aluminum sleeves. I left the middle threaded rod so if I had to take the handle off. I drilled a 1/2" holethrough the center of the handle, and at the top I drilled down about 3/4" with a forstner bit so I could countersink the giant nut holding the handle on.