My current knife collection

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by masterdisaster, Jun 1, 2017.

1. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

well, here I am again :) today: my knives

This is my collection of pocket knives that are all pretty cheap but very effective. Every knife has it`s own story and pretty much everyone comes from abroad (relative to Slovenia).

1. my first EDC
    razor sharp reasonably sized folder, AISI 420 steel, aluminium scales, line lock. Father bought me this one in San Gimignano in Italy.

2. A bit smaller than previous but very comfortable and a bit more appealing to my eye. I bought this one in Greece (can`t remember the city)

3. and 4. My swiss army knives. the little one is my keychain and the big one (Huntsman) is a jack of all trades just as it should be. Both were bought in Ljubljana, Slovenia)

5. A balisong :D it may look a bit childish because of vibrant colors bt I promise you that for about 10€ I could not find anything better. I bought it in Lloret de Mar in Spain.

6. Did I say Pocket knives? this one is not really a pocket knife but a very useful and quite lightweight homemade machete made of medium carbon steel. It is very thin end flexible which makes it perfect for cutting fresh branches up to 3 cm in diameter

I did not include my straight razors (I made them) but if someone would like to see my work just let me know ;)

Attached Files:

2. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

That's a parang machete right? Very nice collection. Also, I'd like to see your straight razors

3. avinar

avinar Member

That butterfly knife of yours is most lovely. Never could get the hang of operating them.... :eek:

I've found the most useful knife I have is a scalpel. I put cord around the handle and then put tape over it. Ugly but the grip is now comfortable. The sheath is paper and tape. I believe sheaths should be disposable for work knives. I use it for opening packages of all sorts. The blade is replaceable, of course.

For self defense, only a karambit will do. It can do a few tricks no ordinary fighting knife can.

It's a regular Counter-Strike IRL (In Real Life) replica, available online by the ton. Not a toy. Quite sharp, though I sharpened it to razor-sharp. :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  4. NamenloserHeld91

NamenloserHeld91 Senior Member

THe machete woud be awesome for my work :) Coud you show me how you did it?

5. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

it is kind of parang machete yes :) I will try to show straight razors as soon as possible. most likely today

6. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

Everyone has his favorite blade. I have never had a scalpel like yours so I do not know how well it works. Very nice karambit though. I am not a big fan of painted blades and would rather see a nicely polished steel but still....it looks so mean and dangerous it just calls to be used

7. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

I can not show you but I can at least try to explain. It was made in 2012 with help of my father. He heated it with oxy-acetylene torch (any hot flame should be fine) and than made a curve by beating it with hammer on cutting edge more than on the spine of the blade. We should have reheated and starightened it before water quenching because the blade warped a bit (well..not just a bit - quite a lot :D). The crucial step after dunking glowing red hot blade in water is tempering: heat it up to about 200°C to relieve the blade and give it flexibility

8. avinar

avinar Member

The blade is very sharp.. it is for surgery after all.. it can slice through a jugular. But it's also very brittle. It slipped out of my hand once and fell on the ground blade first.... the blade shattered like glass. I put a new blade in so no problem.

I ordered the black version but they gave me this one...

The only way to get the knife you really want (at least in my case) is to make it yourself. I am building up the courage to do exactly that and make myself a double edged karambit.

I am looking for a kukri but can't find one. I'll need to make that too... some day.. somehow.... maybe...

9. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

Try to find a gun shop...my friend bought one and it is a beautiful tool/weapon. If you will make it yourself make sure it is thick enough because kukri should be quite heavy

10. avinar

avinar Member

Good idea! :D

11. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

and here they come :) straight razors I made

They are far from perfect and currently useles but if I gave a few hours of work in to them and maybe buy a fuper fine natural stone to sharpen them, they would be quite okay.

Pictures are chronologicaly sorted. The first has a wedge profile of blade so it is not very useful at all, the second one has too short blade and the third one is too thin for that blade height. Nevertheless I had awesome time making them

Attached Files:

12. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

Today was a good day spyderco Delica 4 came to my pocket. I buy knives to use them not to let them collect dust. This one cost me 110€ and already received razor sharp edge that cuts through hair on my hand or paper in it like it was butter

Attached Files:

13. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

I forgot to mention that the blade is made of VG-10 steel which gives it very good allround performance. Combined with very comfortable and light handle the knife is very agile and effective

It is what an EDC knife should be

14. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Gentlemen I give you the Huntsman.

Love it. One for the house. Black one for my Sunday bag. Red one for my rucksack. Saw, straight blade, awl, hook (use it all the time), inoffensive appearance (even my wife borrows it usually for the scissors) and relatively cheap. Okay it won't be useful as a machete but that's why you have a machete.

For food prep I have a large opinel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  15. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

Are you talking about swiss army knife or something else? I can not connect saw with spyderco

16. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Sorry. The Huntsman is I think the most generally useful EDC victorinox do. I've used and use everything on the Huntsman including the recessed pin and the corkscrew screwdriver.

For the benefit of those who weren't here the last time SAK knives got posted, here are the hidden pin and the corkscrew screwdriver:

Attached Files:

17. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

Did you add the hidden pin yourself? I didn't get the screwdriver when I bought my huntsman though I never felt I need it

18. NamenloserHeld91

NamenloserHeld91 Senior Member

The Needel is New. Not all Swiss Knifes got them. Jim when you send the knife to Victorinox they will make it new agian. Sharpen and polishing it!

19. masterdisaster

masterdisaster Member

I have the slot for it but I had to find my own pin

20. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

So did I. There are pins and PINS. The current pin is quite feeble but I had one which was as tough as a thick nail but still fitted in the recess. The screwdriver is perfect for fixing reading glasses.