My 1st one ever made ;)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by slawek, May 31, 2013.

1. slawek

slawek New Member

Hi all. This is my first time ever made slingshot. I know its not perfect, well maybe not even good compared to all what i can see on this forum but there it goes.
    [​IMG]

I made it out of two pieces of 9mm plywood glued together since i cant find anywhere 18mm. Its not finished yet still need some final touch like place to attach rubbers etc.

My question is how long should rubbers be ? i really have no idea. Already bought some theraband gold and waiting till it come so have a little time to ask some questions :)

If u can give me any suggestions how to make batter ones i will appreciate. I dont have many tools yet. This one is made with 1 saw 1 file and a few sandpaper sheets.

2. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

its good, slingshots dont need to be fancy to work.

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Nice, search google for: thera band calculator, there should be a link to the slingshotchannel site where (allmost) everything is explained

4. slawek

slawek New Member

Well i just wanted to make something simply as i like simply things. More simple, less things to break ;) also iam wondering if this 18mm can handle double rubberbands and will not break and slap my face ? how long to make them ? is this depends on my height, and how long arms i have ? i dont think i will try to shoot "butterfly" style ;)

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by onnod [​IMG]
    Nice, search google for: thera band calculator, there should be a link to the slingshotchannel site where (allmost) everything is explained
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    thx, found it :)

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Everybody has to start somewhere And you are doing just fine! My opinion is that you should try single bands first. 18 mm is thin, so you could add some extra layers with wood glue and holding them tight togheter. But if you want to keep 18 mm, do not exagerate on the strength of the bands.
    Remember, if you stretch too much the cords of a guitar, it may break, and if you dont stretch them, it will not make a sound.
    Good start! Keep on going and trying to make better. Try on some naturals too!

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^some great advice^
    Looks like you've done a fine job so far, and I'm eager to hear how it shoots soon

7. slawek

slawek New Member

Thx for tips :) i will start with single TBG but still waiting for my package :mad:. Yes i also think 18mm its not that great but i cant find anything else here (where i live ) so i glued 2x9mm together, and iam also thinking about add some extra plywood to make it stronger and make it handle better.

I have another question: can i oil plywood ?, or gimme any tip how to finish my work so its look like all slingshots here on forum ?

I will try with naturlas but first i need to find something ^^

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

18 mm is fine, indestructable in most cases, you can just oil multiplex

9. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

Well it is a nice start! And u will be addicted to it faster then u imagine ;)
    In this forum u can find almost everything about how u make a slingshot. also for finishing there are a couple posts.
    u can oil it paint it or what ever u want.
    try yourself. maybe use ur left over small pieces on u treat them diffrently. one oiling one painting etc

Have fun and keep it up

10. Brazilviking

I think plywood goes better with varnish. But the best way to use it is mixing the first layer half varnish half thinner or solvent. You will notice that it will become "hairy". So go again with veri smooth sandpaper and again with varnish, with 30% solvent this time. New sandpaper and new varnish again on 30%. You may do that many times, and use pure varnish on the last. Becomes very shinny and VERY sealed.

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I think that you have made a very good start. Unless you plan on shooting Jeorges hand cannons, 18mm is fine for almost anything. I, too, started with a hacksaw that was not particularly sharp, an old file and some sandpaper. Skills grow with practice and your involvement in the craft. Just for the contrast;[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

The one on the left is my first. The right is a mini that I made recently. The original I used for color experiments:eek: but it shoots a lot better than it has any right to. The mini will throw a 1/2" steel with no problem. Give yourself time. You'll get there.

12. slawek

slawek New Member

Today i finally get my there band gold :) ... and i also could not resist to put dual bands on it and tomorrow will have some testings, alredy bought some 12mm marbles to just try how it shoot but its look promising. I tried with single rubber per side but its feel so weak, i dont know :p

here is picture of how it looks (sorry for bad quality) made it with my phone ;)

[​IMG]

i feel this will be really powerfull once i get some steel balls in my hands :p

13. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

You did GREAT with your first-time slingshot, Slawek[​IMG] I think it looks very nice. And you did it yourself with minimal available materials.

Skills develop. Some of these stunning slingshots that you are seeing are from guys who have been doing this for awhile. They didn't start there. They just threw themselves into it with lots of hard work... observing, experimenting, asking questions, talking to others, gradually building up their knowledge, skills, and workshop arsenal. Some even have access to high-end tools and equipment that an average person may not. This should never be a deterrent to any beginner enthusiast.

You really don't need to go fancy to produce beautifully sculpted frames -- not from what I've seen. And I've seen some pretty awesome stuff with just the very basics, using only rasp, file, sandpaper, oil and wax.Set goals and stick with it. Everyone has their own personal style and level of development.

You'll get to where you want to be. Give yourself time and let your skills develop while you continue to observe, learn new techniques and experiment. And you will be learning something OFTEN!

I believe this if the main point of a forum. To learn, encourage and help others. Have fun doing it.

Have fun with your new slingshot! [​IMG]

14. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Hello Slawek, that is very good to be the first one, it will shoot good I bet, here you will find many tips, blueprints to continue improving your crafting skills, even the most modest frame can bring you a lot of fun !!
    Cheers
    Arturo

15. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Great work on your 1st!

If you find your handle needs more thickness, I,ve seen many on here with cord wraps. Ending in a nice lanyard you can even pull harder, like a wrist brace (but I find it more comfortable).

Enjoy all the hours shooting that beauty :cool:

16. Brazilviking

Everybody said great things and advices. Seems that you are getting one of the bests welcomes to this forum I've ever seen in my short time here. But the post I think is the best for you is the one made from flipgun. This slingshot is good. Your dual bands ( that you couldn't resist.... I loved to read it! I adviced one, you wanted two! Ambition! Great!!!)
    Use that in order to make you a better slingshot maker.
    Compare flipgun's first and last slingshots..... Thats the universe you are about to enter. Practice your aim and make your mistakes a lesson for become a better marksman!
    Well... Thats it.
    Sorry for my crazy explanation and for the possible many gramatic errors on my english.... After some scotch I become a clumsy writer.
    But let me know of your progress and feel free to ask for any help!!

Greettingscfrom Brazil!

Respect!

17. Brazilviking

About it, how old are you?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  18. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi Slawek,
    You did a great first slingshot my friend!!! I think 18 mm plywood is ok to support 2 layers of TBG.
    When i joined here( 12-23-2011) i made this:
    [​IMG]

This is my last one( without any power tools):
    [​IMG]

You started way better than i did, you brobably end up way better too... ;)
    Keep on the good work and enjoy the shootin'
    Cheers, Red.

19. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

That is amazing tokSick. See? I told ya so Slawek! No fancy power tools necessary.

Just a few blisters perhaps. Lots of sweat maybe? [​IMG]

20. slawek

slawek New Member

iam 34 ;)

And thank u ALL for ur kind words :) and i will try to improve my skills and make better one. I know its need time and practice :)

And for that dual bands (really cant resist) i test it today when i was in work i shoot some 12-15mm marbles at about 20m distance and have to say that thing is pretty powerful, didn't expect so much power from rubber bands :p

Sad think is i dont have that "pizza knife" ;) to cut this thera band and i did it with really sharp knife so it wont last long, and one of them already need to be replaced :/ already ordering this round knife on internet bcoz dont want waste all my thera band :p also considering using next time tapered one and maybe then i use only one layer.