My 1st Crossbow of any sort

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Otees, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Otees

Otees Another Member

Hi everyone, this is my 1st crossbow and more specifically pistol crossbow. I had only a drill as a power tool and only liquid nails as an adhesive which explains its messiness :p ( I am a messy person in most things anyway). I used Joerg's trigger mechanism and I was inspired by the pistol crossbow by Cosmas Bauer.It shoots pretty well, I can shoot the arrow from one side of my backyard to the other which is 20 metres with much power still remaining. I let my sister shoot it and she aimed up underestimating its power and it flew right over our fence. I had a roller design but I dismantled it as it did not work. But I can attach it anytime I want and my goal is to make it work. I have made a variety of arrows such as a blunt end for just shooting foam targets, a burnt arrow, an arrow with cap gun caps at the front, a nail tip and I will also make a tin tipped arrow sharpened. The image with only string is the one that plan to lash the tin arrowhead onto. With the nail arrow from 20 metres away I lodged the arrow into the fence and I needed pliers to pry it out. I am not sure whether it is a bolt or an arrow because I remember in one of Joerg's video him contrasting bolts from arrows. I made a butt pad out of inner tubing to reduce the pain in cocking the cbow when placing it against my chest. I used office rubber but only a short amount, which made the draw length heavier. The structure of how I wrote this is pretty messy so sorry. I guess it shows I am a messy person even more.
    loaded.jpg Loaded with burnt arrow

image.jpg

bottomcbow.jpg

arrows.jpg

Cheers,
    Alex

Attached Files:

• side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice indeed.

3. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks Jeremy

4. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That looks like a fun gun.

I really enjoy seeing stuff made with resourcefulness and limited supplies--making do is the fine art of the apocalypse.

5. Otees

Otees Another Member

Haha thanks Slagskimmer! I never thouht of it as making do in an apocalypse.

6. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

looks great!

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work Otees! I have something like this on my 'someday' list.

As I recall the distinction Joerg made about bolts versus arrows was that arrows have fletching, and bolts do not.

9. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks for clearing that up Withak :) I hope that you end up making something like this. It was on my someday list for ages, then I had some strange realisation that I could do it. If I can do it I know you can.

10. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice! Looks like you can have a lot of fun with this shooter :) Pistols are great!

11. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

You have the swag gets swagger in swag history great swag!

J :D

12. Dangerfield

Dangerfield Australia

Dam good job with the tools at hand Alex. I make my fletching out of tape as well and I find that if you sandwich a piece of tissue box type of cardboard between the tape they hold their shape a lot better, if you need a tutorial just ask.

Cheers Dave.

13. Otees

Otees Another Member

That's a great idea!! I used paper but it didn't work but I do have tissue box cardboard, thanks for the tip!!

14. Otees

Otees Another Member

Hahaha thanks Doom!! Your stuff is swagalicious as well!

15. Otees

Otees Another Member

It is a lot of fun. Its pretty accurate I hit a 10 by 5cm foam target 20 metres away. I've seen you pistols and you seem to have fun making and shooting them.