Much appreciated!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by buckshot500, Jan 16, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I just want to thank everyone who share ideas and info on this forum. Y'all have some awesome knowledge and incredible craftsmanship.

I intend to become a slingshot builder. I know I have it in me to do this and this forum gives me lots of ideas. I have worked with my hands all my life and beginning this hobby seems natural to me.

Anyway I will hopefully have some answers, since I will certainly have questions. :)

Metalwork is my field, but I have worked with many materials over the years.

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It's always good to have another builder on board. Never too late to get started and even those of us who aren't woodworkers can certainly learn how to manipulate the stuff. That said, I'm always interested in seeing slingshots made of metal too :)

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hey, steel (and other metals) make great slingshots! And the best part is that there is generally no stress test required!
    I've got plans to make some shooters out of stainless plate, as soon as I find a piece of scrap at work that isn't being watched too closely :D

4. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

I like the ones that have been made with the metal inside and then have all different types of materials added. Like Will said no stress test required but opens up the options to use pretty wood that may not otherwise be strong enough to be safe. I was looking at cutting boards in the store earlier after Withak posted his nice bamboo shooter made from a cutting board. It is like tying fishing flies anything you can find is worth a try. Think out of the box and you might surprise yourself and everybody else at the same time. If you are tying a fly you might even catch a fish with something you just had laying around. So many great ideas on here.

5. buckshot500

I have worked with wood quite a bit and understand it being the top choice material for slingshots. The beauty in some of the grains I've seen here along with different combinations and finishes, can't be matched with metal or synthetic materials.

When I was younger, I had hay fever allergies so sawdust was a problem for me. In my late twenties I stopped having allergic reactions to pollen and sawdust, so I'm getting back into woodworking. I like the idea of combining metal and wood to make a fork though.

Yes I have given some thought to metal being less likely to fail under draw. Wood can be tricky and split if it decides to.
    One of the first things on this forum that caught my eye was "the art of weapons" backyard lost foam aluminum casting. Very cool indeed! Stainless steel would also be an obvious choice to me, due to corrosion resistance and it's ability to retain a high luster polish.

I have even given some thought to inlaying softer metals like bronze or copper into the main material to enhance it's beauty. I recently discovered that one of my files that I have been using as a thread chaser, is actually a checkering file. I can't imagine it will take long to figure out how to use that on a fork.

My gears are turning and y'all are the reason why, thanks again. I have a very busy life, but will check the forum often and post my renderings as they start to come to life.

6. buckshot500

I have always been the one to take someone else's ideas and run with them. I end up making my own thing but you'll be able to see my influences pretty easy.

I agree with your idea to try outside the box type materials and fork shapes. Some of the best forks I see stand out because they are different. Buga's puzzle slingshot for instance, speaks volumes about his ability to imagine something in his minds' eye then bring it to life. It might have been slightly less of an eye catcher had he not chosen those particular wood combinations. Or if he had not cut the puzzle shapes to fit so perfectly.Having it all come together must have made him smile. Oh and don't let me forget the antler pins, genius!

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

So... You say you're a metal worker? Well then, let's see some really cool stuff from you- some slingshots made from:

Magnesium
    Depleted Uranium
    Zinc
    Pewter
    Unobtainium

...And so on. I expect nothing less from you since you are both old and a Redneck.

-Wild Bill

8. buckshot500

I have worked with magnesium, and it's no problem as long as it doesn't start to burn. When I tig welded it, we had to keep "Purple-K powder" type fire extinguishers close by since nothing else will put magnesium out once it begins to burn. Now PKP stops all chemical reaction. Not good to use in an enclosed area. since the human body is a chemical reaction. :)

Depleted uranium, there is a big supply of that about 20 miles from me but it is well guarded by men with machine guns.

I would think Zinc and Pewter would be too soft.

Now unobtainium is a good candidate and it is easy to work with. I may know "A Guy" back in Philly I could call who has some connections in the scrap metal industry. :)

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hey, WildBill. You forgot to suggest he make a shooter from Mithril. I think he's more likely to get hold of that than some of the other materials you listed!

10. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Why not make slingshots from tea, milk or good music?