More questions about building a slingshot crossbow

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Enn Block, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Enn Block

Enn Block New Member

Hi all, I know you don't remember me, but I registered here 2 months ago, posted 2 topics asking a bunch of questions, and then disappeared right after I got my answers. I didn't leave for good (obviously), rather I have been spending the past 2 months collecting power tools from garage sales and teaching myself how to work with wood in order to make a slingshot crossbow design to eventually share with the forum.<br><br><br>From what I have learned I have determined that the design I initially planned to use for a slingshot crossbow would have required a lot of power plane usage, and had other problems with the design. Considering that my power plane needs a new drive belt, and I am broke until Friday, I figure that means I should get to making that new design right now.<br><br><br>I would like to make a winch operated slingshot crossbow design, (similar to the one seen recently in "Twice as long, Twice as good?"). How do I request for the blueprints? <br><br><br>Also, I was wondering about possibly working on entropy slayer type stuff in the future. How does Theraband react to water? does it decay or anything if exposed to it for a long period of time? I am thinking about using theratube black to hold hot water, will it hold water as long as there are no holes in the tube?

2. I know for best life bands need cool and dry so I'm guessing (guessing mind you, i don't know for sure) that hot and wet will probably destroy them quickly.

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

you could ask joerg, but i don't know if he will make them, the design is really simple tho, you use the release from the how to make a mechanical slingshot release vid(utube) and the other parts are i think really straight forward, but that is my opinion

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

No blueprints, made this one from the top of my head. It is simple though.<br><br>I advise against trapping water in the tubes - that would affect the snappiness for sure. <br><br>Just use 30% stronger bands, and don't stretch them out more than five times the relaxed length. Then the hysteris effect is irrelevant. The advantage of the winch is that more draw weight is not an issue.

5. Enn Block

Enn Block New Member

My actual idea for the water was to just have one pair of tubes filled with water in physical contact with the bands for firing. Now that I think about it, maybe I could use something else that stays still...<br><br><br>Anyway, I had another question: if I were to make a custom pouch that has slits instead of holes, that are wide enough to allow the bands through without pinching them, could I do a long band, fold it at the slit, and then clamp the two ends together, thus making a double band out of one long piece of theraband?<br><br><br><br>also, a question about fletching. I am planning to make my own short super heavy arrows, does the fletching have to be a minimum length/width/stiffness? if so, what do you recommend for a 30 cm long arrow?

6. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Any "hole" that isn't round or has rounded ends, is going to be more prone to tearing. To emphasize this fact, this applies to sheet steel as well! If you slit metal, you drill holes at the start and end for this reason. Look at a "slit" and it's the same shape as a tear.

7. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I have actually built the winch-cannon! I will present the final product as soon as I have sorted out some trigger problems, together with the blueprints.

8. About the fletching question, I have noticed that childrens arrows and adult arrows use the same fletching on commercially sold models. They average about 3 inches or so in length, I don't know if that is much information but it is at least a good place to start. Sorry I can't help more, I never actually measure my arrows fletchings and my bow is in storage right now so I can't pull it out and check.

9. Enn Block

Enn Block New Member

@ Bert the Welder - thanks, I will make sure they have rounded edges when I make the pouch.<br>@Failureisalwaysanoption - I will be eagerly waiting for them. <br>@mikehunt042084 - no problem, that description about fletching similarity should be enough for my needs.