More Penny stoves from Ozzy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OzzyOsborne, Feb 15, 2014.

1. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

Here's a tiny penny stove I made:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtWEq8L3RI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtWEq8L3RI[/ame]

Here's how to make them!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY-cvEq00z8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY-cvEq00z8[/ame]

And some misc. images...

Attached Files:

2. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

That's a great idea if your going to go camping or get lost.
    Or for me when I get no power and no gas.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

These are cool. I've wanted to make one for a while, I just keep forgetting about them until a video pops up. Definitely need to try this. Oh, and by the way, I love 'camp' coffee from a percolator, better than anything from a machine.

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

That fiddly bit of getting the can pieces together has always defeated me. :( But I get on a binge of trying again from time to time. Maybe one day.

5. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

- not my idea... been around for years!

you get about 8 - 10 min burn, more if you make them bigger!

6. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

- soooo easy to make, I'm doing some to sell on ebay

I agree with the coffee, I like coffee cooked on an open fire, nice and smokey!

7. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

- You're right, getting the cans to fit isn't easy

Some people 'crimp' the edge on the inner can

Some make cuts (like the tiny one I made)

You can even try different 'branded' cans together, as some different manufacturers are micro .001 mm out and have a machine fit without modifying!

8. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

- here's some I made tonight, they're twice the size of other ones, just over 2" tall to fit in small baked-bean tins. I like the contained 'tin' idea to protect the stove, and also to contain spillages of fuel

- I'll be selling these with a 'hobo stove' kits on ebay (like the ikea pot I used for making coffee!)

Attached Files:

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Great thread. Until I saw the contents, I was hoping for more tales of on-the-job derring-do. This is pretty cool, too, though.

10. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

- 'Until I saw the contents, I was hoping for more tales of on-the-job derring-do'

Sorry, lost in translation!

- please explain, and I'll endeavour to understand!

11. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Nice vids, and tunes too!

These are very similar to the Pepsi can stoves I made. There are some videos on youtube. Instead of a penny to seal off the chamber, the top center is cut out and there is an inner sleeve that creates the chamber for slightly pressurized gas to be heated so it can pass through the jets.

I am trying to imagine if the penny seal might allow for slightly more pressurization, although the flame kernels look similar. I use denatured alcohol but would caution that it burns with an almost invisible flame. (not good if you knock over the stove while it's lit) Once the fuel burns out, the stove is dry. No need for any type of wick in a Pepsi can stove,

The alcohol can be safely stored and transported in the same thick Nalgene bottles used for Naptha fuel.

I have boiled 8 ounces of water in an aluminum mess kit pot with lid, in about 8 minutes. Great to make instant soup on a cold bicycle ride.

12. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Stories from your professional life as a police officer. The last one about those kids and their knife was cool.

13. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

I like using Everclear (drinking grain alcohol 190 proof). When we used to backpack, the everclear was a triple use item...anasthaetic, antiseptic, and it'd start a good fire, too.

14. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Only problem with Everclear is the full strength, genuine article isn't legal for purchase in all states. Versatile stuff, though. Minnesota law makers tend to be of the nanny variety, so our Everclear is only 140 proof. :(