More of a "Re-purposing" - Recycled Switchblade

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by MarbleShooter, Jan 25, 2014.

1. MarbleShooter

MarbleShooter New Member

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/slingshots/the-recycled-switchblade-118.html

While not entirely a "homemade" per se, I wanted to show this little devil to you all here to see what you think. It is made from a scrapped knife I've had for years and didn't want to throw away.
    I know what you're thinking, and it is pretty flimsy looking, but it's actually quite the shooter. I wouldn't trust putting too much rubber on it, as the metal scales used for the fork will probably just bend in half over time, but with light ammo and a fairly decent band set, it's a pretty fun time.
    The forks are adjustable to some extent (see pictures), and the frame is actually quite sturdy for being almost completely flat (again, not using anything too heavy).

2. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

It certainly looks cool.

I could see making it out of a thick billet of aluminum to make a really strong one, but that would not be the same as re-purposing.

So it makes a nice little BB shooter that appears to be an assault weapon due to it's visual cues.

3. MarbleShooter

MarbleShooter New Member

That's a good way of putting it. I appreciate the nice words. I do have some scrap metal lying around, but it's more fun to make stuff out of other stuff.

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Nice idea! If you grip it finger hook/ thumb support and high grip so your bracing the forks, I can't see it having any issues with even a bit more rubber. I used to have a few of these knives bought at the county fair, we always called them "butterfly knives " though where as true switchblades were push button/spring loaded to flip the blade open or a slide button spring loaded to pop the blade straight out the grip end. Regardless of all that, cool rig!

5. MarbleShooter

MarbleShooter New Member

Thanks. Yeah I guess it's not an actual switchblade, but it's better than calling it 'recycled cheap spring-assisted knife.' You are right in that this is not a hammer grip slingshot. I usual hold it close to the top and support the right fork with my thumb. It keeps it from flexing. It just looks like a butterfly knife because the two side scales are separated from the body, but it was not a balisong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

6. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Oh I got it now... My confusion, sorry. I'm using a phone so I hadn't enlarged the picture enough to see it properly. I have a Smith & Wesson special ops thumb assisted folding lock blade with nearly the same scales.

7. MarbleShooter

MarbleShooter New Member

I hadn't thought about it, but looking at it from far away I can definitely see confusing it with a butterfly knife. I have a cheap one of those too, but it's too pretty to take apart...