Mora Companion HD Black Patina and Lefty Sheath Mod

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Bighaze51, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

Just got my Mora Companion HD in today. This knife is SWEET! But I'm a lefty and this sheath only fits right handed, right? Uh, wrong. I finagled around that. I like the stock sheath so I wanted to be able to use it. I took the sheath and stuck it in the toaster oven for about 5 minutes to soften it up. I wrapped a layer of tin foil around the knife handle in an attempt to protect it from the hot sheath. I jammed the knive in backwards and then ran the whole thing under cold water to help set the plastic. So now my stock sheath is lefty with good retention.
    [​IMG]

So, now that I got the sheath to work lefty, I decided to tinker a little more. Having good results doing a vinegar patina on my Mora 2/0, I wanted to try it on this one. I managed to get the blade almost black. I'm very happy with the outcome on this one
    [​IMG]

2. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

Amazingly even looking patina. Nice! :cool: I use ferric chloride solution (pcb etchant) that I mix myself. It will turn a carbon blade jet black and even turned the AUS-8 blade on my Cold Steel Tuff Lite a nice dark gray.

3. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

I like the the dark patina you add the the blade. Good job.

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

great patina! the sheath mod sounds a bit unconventional but it seems to work!;)

5. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

Thanks guys. Yeah the sheath works just fine. It clicks in real tight and I can't shake it out

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J