Mora 2/0 Mod and Sheath

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Bighaze51, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

Hey guys, I didn't build this knife but I did some work to it :) I didn't like the red handle it came with soni sanded that off and glued on a walnut butt cap. Oiled and CA finish. Then I did a vinegar patina on the blade. I also wasn't happy with the plastic sheath it came with so I made this one out of leather. I cut the very bottoms of the plastic sheath off and inserted it in the leather one to protect the blade ( and my leg)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NW_frameman

NW_frameman Member

How did the patina work out for you? I tried it on my mora and it looked cool at first but then it basically wiped off!!? I used slow boiled braggs. The handle looks really cool by the way. Good job!

3. Bighaze51

Thanks. I'm happy with it so far. I just heated up a cup of apple cidar vinegar in a glass and stuck the blade in it. I used a spring clamp to hold it up just high enough to keep the handle out of the vinegar. Make sure you degrease the blade first with rubbing alcohol. Then you rinse it wipe it off with a paper towel and I used some silver polish to clean it up. The color lightened up a little after all that but I'm happy with the outcome. Then a liberal wipe down with mineral oil. :)

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice!! i love scandi blades!

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

cant go wrong with a mora blade, imho best price to quality ratio

patina is possible on many different ways, i patina my kukri in this way....
    i take some paper towels and soak them in vinegar and wrap this tight round the blade
    every half hour i put some more vinegar on and flip the blade over so the other side is of the table and in the air... after a view hours ill take it of, its now very dark and sometimes a bit rusty, this you wipe of under streaming water, now its light grey and this wont come of so quick, cut a view potatoes and all that will come of comes of and your left with a stable coating of patina that will prevent most rust forming

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

7. Bighaze51

Thanks guys! I love this little knife. I've got a Mora Companion Heavy Duty on the way as well. I figured I need a little on and a big one too :)