Monster slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by CEZ, Aug 11, 2013.

1. CEZ

CEZ New Member

So here's a 50cm extended arm-braced slingshot. It's currently set up for .38 cal lead with unnamed exercise bands.
    Not finished yet, I will be testing it and if it is comfortable I plan to make the butt sliding so it can fit it in my backpack and paint it green or black.

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Looking very good, should be a very powerful shooter! You could always add a simple hinge and lock to make it collapsible as well.

3. KnuckieG

KnuckieG New Member

It looks FANTASTIC what length have you cut your bands?

4. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Thanks guys, I have built it in 3 hours so didn't consider looks, the handle was done from a piece of wood so fresh that the resin still sticks to the hand:)
    One thing that I also didn't consider is it's weight.. My arm gets tired after a couple of shots, definitely needs a diet.
    I have been thinking of hinges and locks but eventually went for a sliding stock, it will be made of 2 wooden dowels held down with U type bolts.
    Bands are 24cm active length, I haven't shot this brand much because it gave me terrible handslaps but finally found a use for them.

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Great looking so far!

24 cm? I guess you aren't going to shoot it full butterfly then. Full butterfly would allow a crazy draw length.

I limited my fork extension length to 40cm, mainly because of the weight. 40 cm seemed a good compromise.

I also use a bigger piece of wood for the fork, to protect me from RTFs. Tobias said he got many of them when he shot 25mm balls, and even stopped using them. I never had a single RTF with my monster (that I left behind in Nathan's place, for legal reasons).

Best, Jörg

6. thehornedal

thehornedal Junior Member

7. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Thanks Joerg, I want to try out different bandsets on it including butterfly, the clamp forks will prove great for that.
    I want to keep the 50cm extent but trim down the weight with my router, think it will work?

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, it will work to some extend. Don't forget the leverage effect. A weight at the end of a 50 cm extension is a lot heavier than at the end of a 40 cm extension.

You simply have to test it. The heavier the slingshots, the fewer shots per session.

9. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Thanks, some thorough testing is in order, so far the leverage hasn't bothered me at all, just the weight of the slingshot itself but it's a weak bandset.

10. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

The metal forks are a nice improvement. I was a bit worried about the wood pylon forks on Joerg's original.

11. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Thanks studer, I've been meaning to employ a clamp on method for a long time now, just because I'm bored of the wrap and tuck method.

Forgot to mention, the big long screws are just there because I didn't have time to cut them off.

I have shot it some more today. Wow, it's the most precise and powerful design I have used.
    Now that I'm more confident I will be using a longer and stronger bandset.

The most annoying thing is how clumsy this 1 meter long slingshot is to carry around, couldn't help noticing the looks on neighbors faces when I was going to the woods to test it:)

Making it foldable is my priority now.

12. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Hi Guys,

So I have done it, the slingshot is now shortened to 58cm (folded) and slimmed down from 1.6kg to 1kg. Full lenght is 103cm.
    It will be a little shorter still because I left some excess near the handle that will be cut off but for now I'm happy that it fits my backpack.
    I will still be routing the front part so some more weight loss is expected.
    I thought it would be a bit wonky because of the excess play in the U bolts but it's sturdy and the sliding action works just right.

Hope you like it so far because my dog just doesn't give a flying f***:)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Dogs, if they can't eat it, chase it, or get scratched behind the ears by it, they just don't care. :)

Looking good. Have you test fired it with the folding stock?

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Well done! That came out great! Perhaps the dog is in awe?:D

15. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sweet! Maybe make the handle foldable as well? :)

16. CEZ

CEZ New Member

No, I haven't had time to shoot it yet, hopefully it won't fall apart.

Thanks Will, I'm pretty sure that's her "I don't care" face

FIAAO, I have thought about it but I don't want to weaken the construction any further, I will just shorten the handle and make it more slanting.

Cheers

17. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice evolution of that plank slingshot, man!!! Lovely dog!!!

18. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

Nice I'm building one out of mostly found materials. Ie a 1/4 pallet and some ply wood and lag bolts. Not prety but mostly done.if I can figure out a way to post pics from my phone I will.

19. CEZ

CEZ New Member

So I have finally finished it, some cutting, routing, staining, oiling, replacing of metal parts and other magic has occurred and it is now 54.5 cm long when folded, 99 cm unfolded and weight is 0.8kg.

Due to a freak bread cutting accident last week my thumb is still sore, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn shooting with Tobias' fist-grip technique (which doesn't require a thumb:)
    The tube set you see is 40 cm long 2050>1845 and works great with .38 cal lead (the gray exercise bands from page one kept breaking after a couple of shots, tubes last longer)

I am really happy with this one, really consistent shooter and the draw length advantage really makes a big difference for power output. No wonder these are banned in some countries:)

Attached Files: