Mold

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by codido187, Dec 25, 2013.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

Does anybody know what would make a good mold to make sling shot what material would be good I made a dirt mold but would it work good is my question sorry I'm a newb

2. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

Dirt is i bad idea to make a mold from. If its wet, there will be bubbles in the product and it would take a lot of time to get ride of them. Dry dirt is too crumbly to make a good mold from. You should use dry sand.
    In addition a lot of people posted something about casting in this forum, so here are a few links:

Lost foam casting: https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/slingshot-casting-success-30946/
    What you need to pay attention on: https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/casting-epic-fail-3000-c-31820/

Also check out the youtubechannel of thearthofweapons ;)

3. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you very much for the information I was stuck in what I should. I made a mold from sand I turned the sand into clay by adding water. Then I let it back for a few days in the sun now it is rock solid.

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Casting metal can be extremely dangerous if you dont get it exactly right. A member recently had an unexpected Thermite reaction which, luckily, didn't get out of control. (Well, as in control as Thermite can be!)

Have you thought about other materials? Making HDPE blocks/moulds is relatively easy and can give great results, it going to be my next project :)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-Blocks-out-of-HDPE-milk-jugs/

5. codido187

codido187 New Member

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388067398.163808.jpg
    And I worked the dirt till it is rock solid

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

That would be scary a thermite reaction would not be good and no I haven't I didn't know where to start with melting plastic I am a metal worker by trade so I know some about metal just never casted before

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Maybe I'm wrong but HDPE seems too easily melted to be a good mold, not to mention how do you work it into shape?

8. codido187

codido187 New Member

I've never tried it but what I was thinking is maybe making a 3/4 plaster mold and pouring the hdpe inside it after I name the plaster of course

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Kohlqez, I meant using a wooden mould to shape the HDPE. No metal needed! :)

Ah, well if you are a metal worker Codido then you know much more about that sort of stuff than me then! Good luck with whatever route you take and take lots of pics! :)

10. codido187

codido187 New Member

I shall thank you for all your help I'm going to make me some hdpe anyways for the fun of it. A thermite reaction would be bad thank you for the heads up I do appreciate it

11. jrcast

jrcast New Member

Good "green sand" for casting is very easy to make, sand, clay and water. It's playsand that you'd use for a kids sandpit and 10% clay. The clay I use is clay cat litter, it's sold as "Fullers Earth". Add enough water so that if you squeeze it in your hand it will keep the shape and break apart cleanly. If it sticks to your hand it's too wet.
    This place is full of information for casting http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forum.php

12. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Ah that makes much more sense. I keep hearing about HDPE molds and I was starting to wonder what I was missing

13. codido187

codido187 New Member

That hdpe sounds really popular I'm going to have to make me some an that green sand sounds like a good idea

14. codido187

codido187 New Member

So you use fine sand and kitty litter lol maybe post a video of the supplies or pics???