modular slingbow project

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Obl1v1Aus, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Here's a new project I've been working on over the last week.

what I wanted to achieve with this is to have a slingshot that can quickly and painlessly be turned into a slingbow without having to screw/unscrew anything or untie anything.

I have an old compound bow that I happened to have a spare whisker biscuit for so I based the system on that, I also wanted to make band changes easier so I opted for a screw down clamp attachment.

So far I have finished the handle and arrow rest attachment, and need to get some stainless flat bar to make the forks

The handle is made up of a peice of form ply laminated between some Meranti and Jarrah.

here are the pics so far assembled with my shoddily bent demo forks!

Attached Files:

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Looks pretty nice!- please keep on posting!

Greetings,

Be

3. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Be

as soon as there is more to post i will!

4. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

How will the whisker-biscuit be attached? I like the idea of a tool-free quick change.

Thats a handsome, comfy looking handle.

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

It is a REALLY Comfy handle, I am really happy with it.

the whisker biscuit itself slots into the handle (my camera wont focus on it to get a clear shot), you can see the seperate whisker biscuit in the second to last pic It has a square stem that screws to an extension arm when mounted to a bow.

I used my Dremel Trio to cut the slot out of the meranti before laminating to the formply. it fits in quite snug, I can swing the slingbow around by the eye bolt and the whisker biscuit doesnt fall out.

6. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Cool, nice work!!

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

it It reminds me of a friend of mine...

Attached Files:

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've got a whisker biscuit at home I bought a while back to use for a sling bow. I'm interested in the idea of easy and quick conversion between sling bow and slingshot. I'll be watching for the 'final' version of this one to see what you do. Nice work.

9. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

It looks amazing

J

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Just keep in mind that the whisker biscuit will need some protection, otherwise the bands will snap it clean off.

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks for the kind words guys

@Brazilviking... That is almost exactly what I'm going for, I did take a lot of inspiration from some of your beautiful slings, I just dont have access to the cool plates that you do!

@Withak... Depending on the type of whisker biscuit it is could make this style slingbow inneffective, I'm looking at a couple of other kinds to see what I can do for my next Slingbow

@JoergS... Thanks Joerg, I had nearly forgotten about that, I have some aluminium stock that I can make a guard from that will fit around the whisker biscuit to protect it, and still keep it easily modular.

12. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Yes, I've only done one with a commercial whisker biscuit and the TTB tries to follow the arrow through the biscuit each time which can't be good for it ! It hasn't broken it off yet but probably only because I don't shoot that one much.

I'm sticking with my home made arrow rests !

13. ODslap

ODslap New Member

I've just got these,I'm debating wether to swap them or use them?! Perfect for slingbows they are

Attached Files:

14. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

They look like foot stirrups from a gynecologist's chair:eek:

If cast I would worry about porosity.