Modified cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VWscooby, Jan 23, 2014.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

It seems that there are a few car enthusiasts on the forum so thought I would post a couple of pics of my favourite cars over the years.

I have had quite a few cars over the years (and this is where I will lose some of the non-euro members) like XR2s, XR3is, XR4is, Saxo VTRs, Lupo GTis, Golf GTis, Peugeot SRis, Civic VTis and several others. I lost a lot of pictures a few years ago after a computer failure including my magazine feature worthy XR3i with a Sierra rally car engine but here a few I still have.

My Mk2 Golf. Wish I had never sold this. Ex Halfords demo car I saved. Won a trophy with this one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Impreza WRX, it had a 107db exhaust which got me into some trouble!
    Can tell it was a while ago, I had hair!

[​IMG]

Trial fitting Lotus JPS wheels to my Mk2 Polo. One of only 72 sets in the world. Very proud of these wheels

[​IMG]

R33 skyline. (That my mates son looking envious there!) Lovely sounding car but a bit over rated in my opinion

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was the 'sensible' car I built when I had kids. My surmane is McVey, which should explain the number plate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what I did to my other halves car :eek:
    [​IMG]

Ive always had more than one car so here are a couple of group shots :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone else have any cars to show? :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I had some really cool cars, but no camera back then.
    Here's a list of the best ones though.

1969 Plymouth Road Runner 383CID Magnum 4spd.
    1970 Plymouth Duster 318CID auto
    1972 Dodge Dart Demon 340 CID 4spd
    These were modified and a real terror to the good citizens of Northeast Philadelphia, Pa. in the late 1970's and 1980's.

Almost lost my license a few times with reckless driving (street racing) and speeding tickets. Then one day i grew up and realized my license was something i would need to keep.

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Good stuff Scoobs! I really like the R33, looks like chameleon paint..?

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Those are some nice cars that you have had. Ive always liked the old school Plymouths (I think it was the Stephen King, Plymouth Fury thing), very rare over here though!

Its funny, Ive never been in trouble before but my driving record........well..........

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yup, it was four stage paint. Purple, green, gold and blue. the dash was blue metal flake

[​IMG]

6. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I got cars
    My dad's 2008dodge caravan
    And my mom's 2010 ford fusion although that one is scared - cracked window cracked bumber cut in the seat broken radio antenna a big scrape on the side and a ding in the door from the caravan
    She probably thinks everyday - the joy of children

But nice cars man

Nice cockpit up there man looks sick

7. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

An old neighbor of mine used to own a 1963 Plymouth Fury with a 426 Max Wedge. That's the same year I was born and I couldn't believe how much power that little red car had.
    It was made the year before they came out with the 426 Hemi.

8. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Nice collection there Scoobs.

I've had a few cars over the last couple of years. heres a list in order of when I had them
    2001 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L 4cyl
    1981 BMW 318i Coupe in Phonebox Red
    1994 Ford XG Falcon Ute 4.0L inline 6
    1995 Daewoo Cielo 1.6L
    2005 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.4L
    2003 Ford BA Falcon 1 Tonner Ute 4.0L inline 6

when I get home from work I'll pop some pictures up. thers a couple of ones I regret getting rid of, and one I definitley regret getting (Daewoo much)

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Scoobs, nice VDubs! Dig the R33 as well. I used to have a rimmed up Golf 3 with magnaflow exhaust, great little ride, used to pick on kitted up Hondas in the twisties. Best was a DC2 with jdm b18 and type R trans, fool couldn't believe is was a single cam 2.0 with 200k on it. Wish I still had it. Right now my ride is a 71 Datsun510 with l20b, side draft carbs, zx 5 speed, header to straight flow exhaust. Loud lil bastard, had it 13 years, never get rid of it. Got a 3.0 v6 getting ready to go in. Wife has a 70 MGB that dad and I built. Its a high strung insanity express. 2.3L Ford t-bird turbo motor, cammed,injectors,intercooler,garret turbo, t-bird 5 speed and narrowed 4 link LSD, custom widebody done by my brother, all topped off with British Racing Green paint. Around 300HP, smokes Merc Kompressors, Mustangs, basically anyone in my way. Pops gave it to me for my 30th birthday but my wife laid claim to it, bought me a custom Sig and an M1A Scout Squad and said we're even.
    Dolo

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  10. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Here's some of the more unusual rides I've had over the years:

1948 DeSoto Custom Fluid Drive
    1910 Pierce Arrow Touring
    1956 Oldsmodile Delta 88
    1923 Ford Model T
    1968 Ford F250 Stakeside (390 CID)

-Wild Bill

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I was never a car guy (my dad was, but he was a workaholic and was never around or I may have learned more). My first car was a 1971 VW Bus - plain white with 3 rows of seats - I was the guy that could get all my non-driving friends to the same place, plus it was set up to haul a small trailer so it worked well for camping. I learned to park it on a hill to help get it started every time the starter would go out (which was often). Second car was a 1969 Pontiac Bonneville - I was only the 2nd owner, it had only 50K miles when I got it. 428 under the hood, had plenty of power for that huge beast of a car - drove great at a time when 'regular' was still only about 85 cents per gallon. After that it was a 1978 Datsun 200SX - it ran pretty well, but the electrical was always going out when it rained, leaving me to drive completely blacked out at night.

After that it started to transition in to small pickups for work and a Dodge Aries K for a while. Today, we have a 2003 Suzuki XL-7 and a 2003 Ford F-150 Crew Cab (2WD). A little older, but both are paid for, so that's a bonus.

12. WildBill

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing this. A '71 VW bus can barely haul itself much less a trailer as well. Are you stretching the truth a bit here?

-Wild Bill

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

You have to take it in context - I had that thing fully loaded with people and hauled a small utility trailer, not a camping trailer. But, you also have to know that it was pretty exciting when I could get it up to almost 60MPH, on a flat road, with a tail-wind. We didn't get there quickly, but it did get there.

14. WildBill

I had a '72 bus for awhile in the mid '80's, and I put one of those, 'I can't drive 55' stickers on the back window- 'cause it couldn't go that fast. Also, I specifically recall that it blew engines every 25k miles. Oh, how I hated that POS...

-Wild Bill

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I miss my '71. I was always having to do work on it, it was slow, very little power and wasn't the most comfortable ride, but there was just something about it I liked. After I sold it, I wished I hadn't.

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Although she is now doing a fine job of holding my garage floor down (and hopefully not being driven by my house caretaker/oldest friend) this is my little fun car. 2004 Nissan 350z. Standard bolt-on mods (intake, plenum, pulleys, Stillen exhaust) and she has been Uprev dyno tuned. I also have a stage II Stillen clutch and flywheel that need installing.
    Great car, plenty fast and amazing in the corners.
    Love seeing and reading all the stories of the other vehicles here too!

Attached Files:

17. WildBill

Oh Will, that's a fun ride. And it jolted my memory a bit...

Right after the Gulf War, I got stationed in Hawaii. A friend of mine's dad- who was an Air Force fighter pilot- was selling his car and needed a quick sale. I went to see him and, since he was a Lt. Colonel, I was most respectful. His car was a 1978 Datsun 280ZX that was heavily modified. A 289 V8 was dropped in, it had a Hurst sequential 6 speed, blower, Hookers, nitrous, ground affects... this thing was a beast. I had little experience with such a car, as the only small car I had owned by that time was also a Datsun; specifically a B210. I had no real idea how to drive such a car and I also knew that there was no way I could afford this thing.

After marveling at it for a bit, I thanked him for his time and said that I couldn't afford it- despite the fact that price/money had yet to come up in the conversation. He knew my relationship with his son and thus asked me, "How much do you have in your pocket?"

"$726.00" I replied.

"Sold!" he said.

My jaw dropped. I did a double-take and asked him if he was sure, and he assured me that he was and pulled out the title. I handed him the cash and drove off in this thing.

There are not many open roads in Hawaii, H-2 being the only one of any length. Mind you, my only prior experience with a Datsun was my old '76 B210. So one day I hit this five mile stretch of straight away and just ran through the gears. As I got to 6th gear, I noticed a tall picket fence that wasn't there the last time I drove the road... And then just about had a heart attack when I realized that I was looking at telephone poles. I was doing well over 180 MPH. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to back down slowly, got the car to a manageable speed and, once I arrived home, promptly sold the car. I knew that I'd kill myself in that thing if I kept it. I also sold it for $11,000, and used the proceeds to buy a Chrysler Fifth Avenue, which was more my style. I have always liked a couch with a steering wheel.

So that's my one and only sports car story. Yeah, I have a wimpy taste in cars I suppose, but hey- it's just me.

-Wild Bill

18. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Withak I feel like they are picking on your VW Bus:D, we had a 1972 VW Bus and that thing was a lot of fun to drive. I had no less than 6 beetles, all but one were cut down to ride in the woods with. Had a 1980 Rabbit pickup with a diesel and a 1982 2 door rabbit gas burner. Like my VWs. I will scratch around and find some pictures and try to figure out how to post them. I will bore you with the rest of my cars in a later post, just trying to show hawk some love on his bus :DYou guys have some nice rides.

19. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Nothing wrong with knowing your limits Bill, I'm not a fast car guy anymore unless i can get my hands on a '91 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

for now my Ute does the job, and if I feel the urge it will still beat the pants off of the young guy's in their 'tree wrappers'

20. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Will, nothing like a topless Nissan! I had an 82 280zx t top, thing handled like it was on rails. Not as good as my 510 but really good. The feeling of the wind in your face with 6 cylinders roaring is unbeatable. Though the vq35 sounds waaaayyy better than an l28.