Mini MoorHammer in Bamboo

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Withak, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Mini Hammerhead in Bamboo

[​IMG]

A few weeks ago I stopped by one of the local thrift stores to see if I could find any used cutting boards - wood or HDPE, to use as slingshot stock. I tried 3 different stores, not a single cutting board. Then I tried one 2 blocks from my office - score! I walked out with 3 wood cutting boards in great condition.

This is something new for me. My first boardcut (not counting the popsicle stick shooter) as well as my first attempt at a "hammerhead" design.

While time to build has been limited, and will likely continue to be that way for a while yet, I did take the time to print out some various templates and mark one of the boards for cutting. I was able to fit quite a few on the board and was thinking about maybe a PFS or two on the edges to get as much out of the board as possible. Looking at the space I had and the grain direction, I couldn't see it quite work out, so I got a different idea - a mini hammerhead. I printed out a drawing someone had posted and kept reducing the scale until it fit. I tried to lay it out so that the grain pattern would give the most strength, though I had no plans to put a couple of layers of TBG on this thing.

A little work, some over-cuts with my jig saw (got too close to the pattern and cut too deep in some spots), some sanding with the Dremel and finally finishing it off with some regular sandpaper and it turned out pretty decent. For a finish, I did nothing more than about 5 coats of CA with a sanding of 600 grit between the last 2 coats. If you look closely, you an still see areas where I messed up with the jigsaw and cut too deep, leaving some marks I just couldn't remove for fear of taking off too much material.

It's banded with a single layer of TBB, 1.5cm to 1cm taper, attached to a Ray's Supersure magnetic pouch. It's a BB shooter, and it works quite well I must say. My daughter seems to think it's hers, I just don't know if I can do that :rolleyes:. But I did mark the board for 2 of these, so maybe she can have this one ;)

All of the laminations you see are part of the original cutting board - I've added nothing to it. You can see where the forks are dovetailed into the handle - that was a point on the cutting board where a different edge piece was glued into the main board. Everything seems quite strong, including those narrow forks - but they are almost a full 2.5 cm thick. I'll keep the bands light for BB's and airsoft ammo only and just enjoy it that way.

Anyway, let me know what you think! I consider this just more practice since I'd hope to do a better job of cutting on the next one.

Update: per Joerg, this is really a 'hammerhead' design rather than a true moorhammer, so I have made an update to my post to reflect that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice work! It looked much bigger in the pics when your hand was not in the photo :)

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E, that's a sik lil bb shoota! I too thought it was bigger(sucks when your hand makes your wood look small)!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks for the reminder FIAAO - I meant to post a better picture of it in my hand to show how small this really is in comparison to a regular Moorhammer - I've added another photo for better scale representation. I don't recall the actual scale, I believe is was somewhere around 30% of the original - and it still fits nicely in my hand! Thanks for the comment.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Ah yes, D, I know that problem very well. It's even worse when you don't have big hands in the first place ;) But then again, it's all about personality, right :) Thanks!

6. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Beautiful Result!
    Looks like that little Slinger will offer lots of fun :)

7. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

8. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

he does not know he's little

nice one

9. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Amazing work Withak! A BB Moorhammer - sounds like a lot of fun. Awesome mate! :cool:

10. LW

LW New Member

Like all the other said, size looks normal (much bigger) on the first pics, but it came out very nice. Like the design of the fork tips. I am sure it is a good design for shooting light Chinese tubes.

Good job…:)

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thank you Antraxx!

Thank you Achso!

Too true, thanks Tilia!

It is fun to shoot - thanks Flicks!

I haven't tried my Chinese tubes yet, they may actually be stronger than I want for the narrow fork size, maybe I'll try it - carefully ;) Thanks LW!

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Looks really nice!

But it isn't a Moorhammer... more like a Hammerhead, the predecessor.

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Joerg! I guess I'm not clear on the difference between the Hammerhead and the Moorhammer - care to elaborate further on the difference? Is it in the head of the forks?

14. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Tubehammer

Hey Whitak!

I really like your work.
    First because it´s made of bamboo,
    which seems to be the most exiting and best-performing
    sort of grass on the planet.. I personally am looking forward
    to be able to work "out" a shooter again;- bamboo is gonna be
    one of the first. -You affirmed that decision! :) , because second:
    You did a really nice job on that material! (and it seems similar to my tubehammer)- What would it look like being coated with some exotic
    "stuff" ;)

Really a very handy sling, I will have to go to buy bamboo!

kind regards,

Be

15. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Actually there are several differences. The handle design has been changed in almost every dimension, and also the fork tips. The Hammerhead fork tips are round and large in diameter, but I found that it is pretty hard to attach the bands well centered.

The templates that are floating around are all front views only so the differences aren't apparent in every aspect. I guess people just shape them the way they like, individually. Which is OK.

The Rambone is the current peak of that evolution, really. The handle has been further perfectionized, and the fork tips are tons better.

The Hammerhead was a radical step, and it looks very dashing because of that. It was overdone on several aspects though, which is normal for groundbreaking new prototypes. Think car design studies!

In the end the enhanced final products are a bit more conventional looking.

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Be, I appreciate it. I was fortunate to find that nice used bamboo cutting board in the thrift shop!

Yes, the template I found was one of several and I'm certainly nowhere near as familiar with the design variations as it's creator ;) That said, it is a fine design, and I do plan to try that Rambone design in the future. I think for a 'proper' hammer though, some multiplex laminate would be appropriate, rather than making use of a cutting board :p

Thanks for the clarification Joerg!

17. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Whoa! Oh my goodness, E. What a super little boo-beauty you've made yourself! A mini Hammerhead. VERY impressive. For a first board cut, you did a fantabulous job.

I have not tried Ray's 'magnetic' SS pouches. I'm wondering how you like them? Maybe I should try some?

[​IMG] Yes, my VOTE is to give one to your daughter!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  18. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Haha that is adorable! Nice work!

19. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

What!?!? I know what that is. It's freakin SWEET! Soda cans beware!!

20. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

So nice and small! I love the laminating! And you got us all, withak! If you did not show your hand, we would believe it was original sized!
    First board cut? Amazing begining!!!