Mind boggling Caroilina snow storm

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buckshot500, Feb 12, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I'm about to get whomped with 6"-8" of snow and ice, in a place that rarely even gets snow. Hoping my power stays on, but we can get by if needed.

Angelic Scars and Elixercraft please stay safe!

Also anyone else who is in the Southeast.

No power tools for me today, don't want to risk an emergency.:cool:

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

We're just finally free of 8" of snow topped with 1/2" of ice ourselves. We also rarely get that kind of weather and it brought everything here pretty much to a stand still. We didn't lose our power (though we're prepared if it does go out), but it sure made for a mess if, like me, you had to get out in it at all. We don't have enough snow plows to keep the roads clear so any driving can be treacherous because of all the hills we have in this area. Messy, but we made the best of it and had a lot of fun in the snow. I found that shooting slingshots in the snow and ice adds a new level of fun. My daughter got mad at me because I kept shooting at the snowman and she would go back and patch him up again.

I hope you all get out of it relatively unscathed. Enjoy it while you can and stay safe.

3. buckshot500

We have just 2 snow plows for our whole county. They are telling us to stay put once the snow starts falling again. I'm gonna take that advice and hunker down for a day or two.

Dad's have a certain duty in life to prepare their children for adulthood. I can see that like me, you want them to be able to patch things up and pick up the pieces when they need to.

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

8'' is 20cm, we have that much snow every year(except this year, we had a total of 12h under 0°C:))

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

This is the first year we haven't had 3 feet of snow by this time of year. It is different when the locality isnt prepared for it or used to it though. We just get on with it because its what happens, when I was in London after an inch and a half of the white stuff you would have thought the zombie apocolypse had arrived!

6. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Sorry but am I the only one from the northern tier of states that goes into hysterical giggles when I see things like what happened 2 weeks ago in atlanta with 2 " of snow?

I drove though Nashville Tn one morning at 9 AM after a 4" snow. We were in a dodge 3/4 ton pickup truck with good tires, a dog box on the back with 14 black labs. (Headed to Florida to train, and do winter field trial circuit)

4" of snow held no danger for me that day and we cruised through it at 50 mph.

People would pull onto the interstate, spend a mile getting up to speed, make some minor correction, go loop de loop about 4 times, pull over to the shoulder, get out and walk home.

What were they expecting to happen?

Driving on snow and Ice is a skill, and the biggest single part of it is learning to drive to match the conditions. Speed limit says 55 but that is ideal conditions, if the road is slick, its blowing snow, 15 mph may be too fast.

Now I know the South/East has been getting smashed this winter. And I feel for them, truly I do.

But life goes on if you follow a few simple rules.
    A stock up AHEAD of time! Preferably in Sept or October.
    B Worn tires are ok in summer but don't cut it on ice.
    C If it is bad out there, STAY HOME! Doesn't matter if your bored, doesn't matter if the power goes out. Do what you can with what you have.

When the brown smelly stuff hits the fan its going to be those with common sense and conservative values who will most likely survive.

7. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Here's the thing Ghosth, WE ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS WEATHER. We are not equipped for snow and ice. We don't have a ton of salt trucks, we don't have special tires, hell, we don't even sell snow shovels on a normal day.
    I am so sick of people laughing at the south for not being equipped for weather we don't usually get.
    People were stranded, people died, people were stuck at schools/business. It hit hard and fast and they had everyone scramble home at the same time. That is where they failed.
    Down here, we usually get ice. I sheet of ice on the road is a bit different then snow.
    Shall I laugh at those in the North because they were hit with a hurricane they weren't prepared for? Or heatwaves? Because THAT is what we are used to. I won't laugh, or poke fun, or ask why the hell people freaked out.
    Do you want to know why? Because I genuinely have concern for these people. Disastrous weather sucks, no matter what it is if you are not prepared for it. I won't laugh because I'm here hoping people can stay safe.

ANYWAY, we are enjoying the snow here and staying home and playing lots of video games. :)

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

The real key there is that you have to have not only the right equipment on your car, but you've got to have experience, which many of them never get. Do they know what will happen? If they've never driven in it before they won't, so that's no surprise. As for what happened in Atlanta a few weeks ago, many of those people got caught on the roads trying to get home after the snow started. They were told by their government leaders that the storm wouldn't be bad, so they went about their day. I grew up skiing, so I'm pretty confident in the snow. Ice however, is dangerous no matter who you are or how well prepared you are. Ice on top of snow, just as bad. I think the worst stuff is when deep snow turns to slush, then freezes overnight to create deep tracks lined with ice on the street and on the sides of the slush. I agree with AS, it's easy to laugh at the people that aren't used to this kind of weather when you've got plenty of experience with it, but if you don't, it can be frightening to try and learn when you're caught away from home.

9. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

+1
    The ice on the roads is our biggest enemy and THAT is what we get during these storms EVERY time. It's been snowing and sleeting back and forth the past couple of days. Today it's going to warm up and I'm sure some of this is going to melt. It's going to get below freezing again tonight and I know all that mess that melted will turn to pure ice on the roads. Tonight/tomorrow is going to be nasty to drive in (at least this is what I'm thinking will happen).

10. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Chains around the tires helps on icy grounds.

I think it was 2 years ago that it wasn't very cold but we had freezing temperatures for weeks, and at some point there was no more salt and the roads were completely covered with ice(we still had to go to school.)
    The point is that preparation only helps until the conditions exceed the expectations.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Ice really does mess things up. Our storm last week left us with 8" of snow at our house which was later topped with 1/2" of ice. We eventually had to get out to get some groceries, etc. for some elderly relatives. I was out with 4WD and chains and was still getting pushed all over the road by the slightest wind as well as bumping and sliding in and out of ruts in the snow that had re-frozen. Just have to take it really slow and definitely stay home if you have the option - which not everyone can do.

12. buckshot500

I just wanted to post about sweeping the snow off my shed roof before it caved in.

Now I would like to comment that I have 35 years of experience driving in snow in Philadelphia. Most folks in Philly CAN drive in the snow.

Here in the South everyone's story about the time they went in a ditch begins like this, Well i was going 10 mph under the posted speed limit...........

It's not a joke, nobody knows how to drive on snow or ice around here. i'll leave a hundred yards between me and the car in front of me. I look in my mirror and there's 8 cars behind me, bumper to bumper.

Anyway with my back brakes locking up, i wasn't going out anyway even in a 4wd Jeep Cherokee.

Slow down, brake gently and let OFF the brakes to steer!

13. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

I feel for you guys, I still have 3 feet of snow in my yard and 6 foot snow piles out front where I shovel off the sidewalk. I have to shovel a path out in the yard so my dogs have a place to potty. I just want to get my boat out and sit at the sand bar already.