Micarta only slingshot?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by 4foruglenncoco, Dec 31, 2013.

1. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I was wondering if u can make a slingshot out of homemade micarta only or would I need a core, I plan to put hunting bands on them so also how thick would I need it to be?

2. Well I think that paper micarta is really strong but you should test some in a vice

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

3. Depends on how strong the bands you plan on using are, I have made mini shooters out of pop can tabs, called "pop shots", coined by flipgun I believe was the one that came up with the idea here I borrowed and he named :)

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

2 layers of tbg each side, 2cm thick

5. I used rubber bands (though big ones lol) on my "Pop Shots" and you are obviously making something larger, so you might want to test them in a vice as mentioned earlier. A couple layers of TBG would be enough power where I wouldn't want it to break and spring back into my face....

6. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

You'll want your board to be around 1/2" (12mm) or greater in thickness. It can work though. I've used homemade micarta as the core for a slingshot with no problems. One from a solid board would be stronger than what I made.

A big factor too is the resin you use. If you use fiberglass resin, it will be strong. However using laminating epoxy will make it indestructible (probably).

7. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I was thinking about making it 1 1/2 thick so I have a lot to work with. out of fiberglass resin and paper as my median also

8. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

About how much construction paper will I need to make a 1 1/2 inch or a 36 mm thick piece of micarta out of fiberglass resin? I wanted the paper to be turquoise and black

9. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

1 1/2" thick will be plenty, but that'll take lots of resin and fabric/paper. Make sure you test first too